Friday, September 07, 2007

Speelunking in my closet

Remember my closet? There are some big time fashion don'ts in there (flannel? Really? Apparently I'm a lumberjack, and I'm OK) but it's the closet in my spare room where I found the real beauts.

But before I show you let me say this: these are items of clothing I own that I'm way too sentimental about to throw away. They're a piece of my history - ancient history, but still history - and I just can't part with them. Do you hear me? I WILL NOT be parted with them. You can try but you'll have to take them out of my cold, dead hands.

Concert t-shirts!!

Prepared to be dazzled.


Grateful Dead - 1993
I think it was in 1993. Certain substances passed around at Dead concerts make you forget things. Heh.

But wait, there's more!

Grateful Dead - Fall 1994
The last tour I saw before Jerry died. May he rest in peace.

We're not done yet! It gets better.


Official concert tee of Metallica's ...And Justice for All tour 1989 or 90.

Not just a tee, but a tank. And an extra-large to boot. At the time of this concert I weighed, maybe, 105 pounds. Zexy.

Reaching back further into the way back machine...


Def Leppard - Hysteria tour 1988(?)

The one in the round. The one where Rick Allen came back as the incredible one-armed drummer. The one where Joe Elliot wore those torn jeans. The one that made me feel all warm and fuzzy in my girlie parts.

And the Pièce de résistance


Journey - Raised on Radio tour 1987

And if you will notice the Chachi bandana. I wore that, yes I did.

This is just a small representation of the concert t-shirts I have owned throughout the years. I threw a bunch of them away and now I really wish I had them back. Fashion faux pas? Probably. Treasured memories? You betcha. A little embarrassing. Eh, I'm too old to care.

----------

This is part of the Parent Bloggers Network blog blast in association with Harper Collins new release "The Little Black Book of Style" by Nina Garcia.

If you'd like to get in on the action (a $250 Coach gift certificate is up for grabs!! I probably shouldn't tell you this because my chances will be decreased. Damn, too late.) write a post about the fashion blunders that are currently in your closet.

26 comments:

Karianna said...

Oh, My!

I can honestly say I never got into the concert-T craze.

But um... the flannel shirts: Oh how I love thee!

Anonymous said...

When you wore that pink checked bandanna, did you tie it around your thigh? Oh, please say you did :) At least you've been to some great concerts!

Tuesday Girl said...

Wow that is a lot of cancert T shirts!

ms blue said...

You rock girl!

Colin must have at least 500 concert T-shirts. It feels like half of them are in the laundry pile at all times. Fun times.

Chicky said...

Swooning over memories of Steve Perry in all his...perry-ness...*sigh*
You should make all of your shirts into a quilt! LOL

b*babbler said...

You mean I should stop wearing And Justice for All t-shirts to playgroups?

Maybe *that's* why the other mommies were giving me looks?

;)

Blog Antagonist said...

Hey! I went to the in the round concert. It was SMOKIN. Joe Elliott was so uglyhot. I only kept a couple concert t-shirts. Psychedelic Furs, The Cure, and I think there's a Duran Duran somewhere.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to dig up some truly gravity defying 80s hair pictures - that Coach bag is as good as mine!

Chicky, I'll trade you my Guns and Roses (GNR, dude!) t-shirt for the Metallica. Or maybe my "MONSTERS OF ROCK!"

Anonymous said...

There is a reason why the phrase "in the closet" is synonomous with "hidden."

I tend to keep all of the shirts I accumulate from races I run. I know it's totally gay, but there aren't many other things that I can wear as a sort of badge of honor. That's sad, isnt it?

I'm going to go have some ice cream to deal with my inadequacy.

Jane, P&B Girls

S said...

Journey!

Journey.

OK, I've calmed down a little. You're younger than I am, I think.

Sarahviz said...

Be still my heart! JOURNEY.
Confession: I just saw them...well sorta, not really, because I don't think any of the original members were there...at House of Blues in Myrtle Beach on my girls weekend 2 falls ago. Nonetheless, they sounded THE SAME. The alcohol probably helped though.
But still!

karengreeners said...

OMG, I can't believe you still have so many dead t's! I still have a very, very old Jerry Garcia Band (like 1991) t that I wear to bed, but it is so worn through that my boobs pop out of the holes. Even Chris doesn't like it.

My last show was Vermont, Summer 1995 right before he died. RIP Jerry.

Jennifer said...

Those are great! I went through a "clean out my closet and throw everything away" phase. Sadly, I threw away some awesome concert tees. (I also threw away some horrible concert tees,...Brooks and Dunn, Quiet Riot.)

kittenpie said...

OMG how did you get from Def to Dead? That is bizarre. And a little scary.

I am so going to get in on the action! Do I have to email you a link or anything?

OhTheJoys said...

Let's take a midnight train going an-neee-where.

(You're a huge dork -- and I love you for that.)

PunditMom said...

I'm breaking out the Pink Floyd T-shirt -- dorks unite! ;)

Heather said...

Wow those are some awesome concert Ts. Or are they rad?

I have to say I was at the Bon Jovi concert in Rochester, MN when they filmed the Livin' on a Prayer video. Yeah, I was THAT cool.

Heather said...

I have to add that my brother's favorite T-shirt was a Metallica Metal Up Your A** shirt.

It was a pretty great shirt.

Debbie said...

I would propose marriage if it weren't so passe. nobody gets married in blogville anymore.

those shirts? make me love you more than ever. more than I thought it was possible to looooove you.

wow. I've shocked myself.

Anonymous said...

oh my god. You just made me realise that I have my U2 concert tee with the buffalo faling off the cliff stuffed in a box downstairs. I've been trying to throw it out for eons, but just can't!

But Journey?? oh dear... :P

painted maypole said...

love the t-shirts!

moosh in indy. said...

And out comes the hotness.

Anonymous said...

I'm all for the Dead shirts. Those are definitely worth keeping. I have mine!

Oh man, that sounds sad now that I read it back. ;)

Anonymous said...

Great collection of convert tees!

Lawyer Mama said...

Dude. Your old shit is waaaay cooler than mine!

Jennypher said...

how can you throw those away????? i didnt get to experience the 80's but am completely in love with the music. you have no idea how next to impossible it is to find those shirts now a days....ive been searching the internet everywhere just to find my collection of Journey shirts with little luck

LOVE JOURNEY/STEVE PERRY....