Friday, March 10, 2006

Phriday Phun Phive


I got this from Mrs. Fortune, who got it from Izzy. Who made it up on her own - God bless her little heart.


1. What is your favorite word?

That I say often - Cool. I say that waaaay too much and I'm probably making myself look like a bigger dork than I actually am by saying it so much. But that's cool with me.
That I enjoy saying but don't have much reason to - Succulent. Say it with me... Succulent. You know you like it.

2. What irks you every time you hear someone say it? You can have more than one.

I hate it when people say "Libary" instead of "Library". I also hate the C word. It makes my shoulders want to attach themselves to my ears every time I hear it.

3. Name the first concert you ever went to.

I'm almost ashamed to say this... I saw Chicago at the Worcester Centrum when I was in Junior High. With my DAD! The tickets were for my best friend and I, but he insisted he needed to chaperone (because they get crazy at Chicago concerts. Woohoo - mosh pit during "You're the Inspiration"!). To make matters worse, we had four tickets and the fourth went to a family friend - the Pastor of our Church. Nothing better than rocking out to "25 or 6 to 4" with a Catholic Priest. I'm such a dork.

4. Name a song you'll never get sick of hearing.

So. Many. To. Name. Ears. Starting. To. Bleed.
This is what happens when you have to answer one of your FAVORITE questions of all time. This could honestly take me a month to answer well enough to my satisfaction. To start "Mona Lisa" by Guster, "Veronica" by Elvis Costello. "Summertime" by Janis Joplin (and Big Brother and the Holding Company). "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" by Billy Joel. And, oh my God, I can't believe that someone mentioned "W-O-L-D" by Harry Chapin! Mrs. Fortune, can I copy you on that one?
I'll be re-doing this list in my head all day.

5. What song, album or band influenced you most as a teenager OR what song/album is the soundtrack of your youth? You can pick more than one if you have to.

Kill me. Kill me now. You seriously don't know how much I could agonize over this. If you're not a huge music geek, like me, this could be a bit over done. But there are some real gems in there.

In the early years (age 0 - 5) there was the Beatles, Frank Zappa ("Don't You Eat that Yellow Snow" scared the pee out of me), Cream and Led Zeppelin. Yeah, I was rockin' my crib HARD.


As my musical tastes matured (5 - 10 years old) I really got into Janis Joplin and Big Brother's "Cheap Thrills". Then there were the albums from my favorite movies - Annie, Grease, The Muppet Movie. And then Disco made a huge appearance in the form of Saturday Night Fever and, my personal fave, Sesame Street Fever. The song "Doing the Pigeon" was very big for me.


In the pre-teen and teenage years I discovered Pink Floyd's "The Wall" in my Dad's album collection and listened to it over, and over, and over again. After listening to "Comfortably Numb" for the 1,001 time I think Mom and Dad were ready to have me committed. Their thoughts of psychiatric help were cemented in their minds when I gave up on good music all together and started listening to.... ahem, Hair Bands. I loved them all, but I think Def Leppard was the biggest one for me. I even had my own version of Joe Elliott's ripped jeans. I thank Grunge music for coming along and saving me from years of psycho-therapy and shock treatments at the hands of my poor parents.



There's my list of 5. If you're reading this (and thanks for seeing it through 'til the end) you are officially tagged. Go. Go forth and make your own list.

4 comments:

IzzyMom said...

lololol...Your blurb about the Chicago concert made me almost choke on my drink. Too funny!

And you like Pink Floyd so you must be really COOL. See? I like it, too :-)

MrsFortune said...

Wait ... listening to grunge saved you from therapy? I don't get it .. :)

Woo-hoo on the Italian restaurant thing!!!! I forgot abotu that one ... bottle of red ... bottle of white ... whatever kind of mood you're in tonight ...

Anonymous said...

I HATE (LOATHE, ABHOR!) when people say libary - omg hilarious that you pointed this out

I listened to Comfortably Numb over and over and I think after watching 'The Wall' a few times, I was ready to commit MYSELF to a ward..

great post..

Anonymous said...

First concert I went to was Chicago, too. With my older sister and her boyfriend.

Don't think i was the chaperone in this case, more like the decoy.