Monday, March 06, 2006

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Okay, I'm going to do it. I'm going to write about one of the most taboo subjects - Religion. I know, I know, this is tricky stuff. But this post is less to do with religion and more with the oppression of women and mother. Since those two groups comprise the majority of my blog's readership, I felt I needed to share this with you, Dear Reader. I had a physical reaction to this article, a feeling akin to being kicked in the stomach.

Why should you care? Why should you, the busy person that you are, spend the time to click on the above link and read this article? Let me share with you a quote to pique your interest...

"Men are the ‘‘natural” heads of their families and should persuade their wives to give up birth control, quit their jobs and home-school their children, a keynote speaker at the annual Boston Catholic Men’s Conference said yesterday."

How'd that grab you?

Now, before I get hate mail, let me say that I don't have any problem with anyone choosing to quit their jobs and staying home with the kids (hellooo, I'm doing it myself), homeschooling, or Catholics, for that matter. I am a recovering Catholic myself - and I have more than enough good reasons for leaving the church than you can shake a ruler at - but my family is 80% Catholic, so I have to be accepting of their views.

Although, they're not so accepting of mine, so I guess that makes me the bigger person.

But this man, Sean Forrest, scares me. This is a man who says that husbands need to ‘‘devise a plan to get them (their wives) to stay home with the kids." Devise a plan? Like women need to be tricked into it, because we couldn't possibly make an informed decision on our own.

This is as far as I'm going to go on this issue. I'm not in the habit of forcing my opinion on others, which is why I left the Catholic Church in the first place. You can draw your own conclusions, but I thought this article was worth mentioning. If you'd like another point of view on the subject you can go here and read the letter to the editor of the Boston Herald from Rev. Robert J. Carr.

Feel free to share your thoughts. Go ahead, I won't judge.

Because, according to this man, I'm not smart enough to form those types of thoughts on my own without the aid of my husband.

4 comments:

Mom101 said...

ARGHHH why why why WHY did you make me read that article? I was all happy blogging about the superficial Oscars and now I'm going to have to go and do that post about Tom Monaghan and his nutty Catholic town he's building.

Leave it to the Herald to do an entire article about this guy and his wacked views, while limiting the counterpoint to a Fox News-esque footnote at the end of the article from what prominent figurehead? "Marion Rudolph of Peabody."

And don't even get me started on "A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality." Ideas like this one are the reason that gay teenagers have such high suicide rates.

Lesson #1: Read the Globe instead.

Anonymous said...

What an idiot.

Now I'm all pissed.

Why are you reading the Herald? Why? Why?

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Okay, to clarify... I NEVER read the Herald. For some reason the Hubby was reading it online the other night and shared this story with me. We are a Globe family through and through.

Back in the day, when I was a radio DJ, I would buy the Herald for the goofy stories they would come up with. They made great comedy bits during my show.

Christina said...

It's guys like the one in the article that make me consider moving to Canada.

This new religious fundamentalism is getting to be too much for me.