Monday, March 20, 2006

Happy Spring!


Happy first day of Spring! Here in the Northeast, Spring isn't so much a change of season as it is an optimistic change in attitude. Case in point, today in Massachusetts the temperature will not get above the high 30's, yet I feel hopeful that we'll be experiencing warmth again soon. The warm weather has got to come eventually. Right? Right?! I've got that itch that needs to be scratched... I want, no I need, to get outside and work in my garden. So yesterday the Hubby and I packed Chicky Baby in the car and headed off for the King-of-All-Home-Improvement-Stores. While Hubby was off looking at security lights for the backyard, Chicky Baby and I went off in search of patio furniture and gardening stuff.




[Quick aside: I've got to stop watching "It Takes a Thief" on the Discovery Channel. We're not going to have anything of any value left to steal after we spend all our money on motion lights and steel bars for the windows.]


Instead of boring you with our adventures in home improvement, I'll instead let you know that I walked out of that store with nothing for my garden (its a bit early for that just yet) but, instead, with no less than $40 worth of ceramic pots for the malnourished plants that I keep on my kitchen windowsill. The plants that nearly perish from dehydration every few weeks because I'm far too busy to move them 4 inches down from their spot on the sill to the faucet just below to give them the water they need. (And I've been entrusted to care for a child and four animals. Ha!) But spring makes me idealistic. Not only will I transfer those plants into new, brightly colored pots, but I will also help them grow to fantastic heights never before seen. At least, never before seen in my home. I will fertilize them, talk to them in soothing tones, and play music for them. The Carpenters, I think. Maybe Captain and Tenille. Yeah, I think the Christmas Cactus would like a little "Muskrat Love". But first, I will water them.

This is what Spring does to me. It makes me want to help things grow and thrive. In another month I'll start hitting the local plant nurseries for new specimens for my garden. I will purchase them, bring them home, put them in the ground, water and fertilize them, and hope for the best. I have no idea what I'm doing but, and here comes that word again, I am optimistic. Spring is the season of beginnings, of new growth - buds on the trees, crocus and hyacinths pushing through the semi-frozen ground, bunnies and chicks at Easter, babies being born. People are throwing off their heavy, winter coats and begin to wear bright colors. Boots are replaced with cute spring shoes in the stores!! There is finally a good excuse to get a pedicure!!

Today, while I'm busy getting my hands dirty with potting soil I will happily be thinking about Spring - even though its colder than a witch's, um, toes outside. Maybe I'll turn up the heat just a bit, put on some capris and my flip-flops and pretend. Spring is here!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, we are all in the Spring spirit today! I posted about Spring too! Finally it's here :)

Jess Riley said...

It's still cold in Wisconsin, but the sun is getting more intense. I love it.

Spring is almost here! (And isn't today the vernal equinox?)

Stacy said...

I can't wait - I can't wait - I can't wait!!!!!!! Woo hoo!

MrsFortune said...

Yeah, it's really cold here, too, and I'm thinkin' we've got one or two big snows in it before it's over.

But gardening? oh, I'm envious. I never had the guts to take that one on. Good luck and I can't wait to see pictures.

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a green thumb.

My nickname? Cactus Killer.

I mean, who in the world can kill a cactus?

Meg said...

Oh I love Spring too, but I would love to trade you for some of that cold weather right now. It's been too hot around here. My kitchen window plants suffer the same fate as yours!

I found you through Christina at A Mommy Story...enjoyed your blog!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Jess - yep, yesterday was the Vernal Equinox and Spring started at appx. 1:30pm EST. Today is the first full day of spring. You're wicked smaht!
Mrs. Fortune - gardening isn't that hard. I had no idea what I was doing when I started 4 years ago. Last year I only killed two new plants! LOL
SM - You killed a cactus?! Oooh, impressive. :)
Meg - thanks for stopping by!
Everyone else... Woohoo Spring!!

Chaotic Mom said...

Yes, I'm with you on the pedicure thing...

AND that show! No kidding, it has me thinking about security, too! ;)