Thursday, April 23, 2009

*Dong Dong* ? *Doink Doink*? *Bong Bong*?

Let's say you live in a house near a wooded area and that house - and wooded area too, duh - are in a cool climate experiencing a cold, rainy spring. And you're going a bit stir crazy because you've been spending too much time in the house due to cold. And rain. And because you're a bit of a hermit. So you while away much some of that time staring out the windows and sighing.

Still with me?

So let's also say, while staring out the windows, you've noticed some strange activity going on near the woods - Cars parked outside your house, people walking into the woods, often alone, on those aforementioned cold, rainy days, and you're pretty sure they're not going hiking. Mainly because they're not wearing appropriate walking-in-the-rain clothes but also because they look a little shady. But what do you know? You only leave the house when you absolutely need to so the only "shady" you know is from Law and Order. [insert sound effect here]

Following so far?

Also, cars are driving into the woods at odd hours of the night and you know, at least you're pretty sure from previous experience *cough-usedtogoparkinginthewoods-cough*, they're not going out there to party. They drive in and then drive out fairly soon after, and then another car drives in and out and then another. Lather, rinse, repeat.

(Note to self: Wash hair tomorrow.)

(Big day tomorrow, chicklets. Big.)

(Washing my hair aaaand... That's about it.)

(BIG)

And you really wish they would stop doing this because instead of standing at the window with your nose pressed to the glass you could be watching reality television sleeping acting like a 36 year old instead of an 86 year old doing something productive that would require you to not be attached to the window.

And then, on a particularly cold and a very rainy day, you happen to see a young man pull up in his car and park in front of your house. He gets out, pulls up the hood of his sweatshirt and walks into the woods. Interesting. This is after a night of in and out and in and out (the cars, you pervs, this has nothing to do with what was going on inside the house). Pretty soon after he walks out and back toward his car, possibly holding something but you can't tell because the windows are fogged up from pressing your nose to the glass it's pretty far away and you need glasses need glasses.

Then he gets into another car that you hadn't noticed because you momentarily tore yourself away to attend to your children. They, the young man (who couldn't have been more than 18) and the driver of the new car, sit for a minute then drive off only to return 15 minutes or so later. Not that YOU WERE COUNTING OR ANYTHING.

So you get your camera and start taking pictures. Evidence is always good right? Proof that you're not a crazy old bat is better.

You don't want to be that person. You know? That person? The one who ruins the fun of the local youth, but these comings and goings are a little suspicious and they're happening too close to home. Literally.

Do you do anything or do you just chalk it up to watching too much Law and Order and start getting out of the house more?

30 comments:

Mama Bub said...

I think you've got to be a fun ruiner in this case. I've been out of the house a LOT this week so I'm an expert.

Unknown said...

You sound like me! I would be doing the same thing. Except I'd probably throw a hoodie on and walk into the woods too. LOL.

Jennifer said...

Call me grandma, because I would be sending those pictures to the authorities! That kind of stuff always makes me nervous! And it's not because I watch too much CSI/CSI Miami/CSI New York/SUV/SUV: Criminal Intent/Law and Order/etc., etc.

My grandma is notorious for her eagle eye/neighborhood watch/snooping tendencies... and guess who's following her lead?

MYSUESTORIES said...

Time to leave teh house (during the day) and look for evidence of drug abuse happening out there. If WE don't protect our children, who will? In 16 years, that could be YOUR child out there behind somebody else's house!!!!!

Amy Sue Nathan said...

You pay your taxes, I assume. Call the police. I do it all the time. OK, not all the time, but whenever something is going on that shouldn't, or that bugs me or freaks me out - anything suspicious at all.

I pay high taxes and want my money's worth.

Jess said...

In ten years, do you really want Chicky to be living next to the 'party area'?

Plus, I'm assuming you moved to the woods so you could walk in them at some point without being afraid of what you or the girls might find (or situation you might run into)

SciFi Dad said...

I put on an old sweat shirt and take a walk into the woods.

Best case scenario: I find out what's going on.

Worst case scenario: They make me for who I am and I leave. Of course, I don't go straight home then, I do a loop around the neighbourhood and walk into someone else's backyard, hop a few fences and then go home that way.

furiousBall said...

heh... you said dong

Heather said...

I go with "chunk chunk" or "clunk clunk" myself.

And yeah, I'd probably call the police and mention it.

Patois42 said...

I have called the police on less consistent odd behavior. I would try to talk with the police over the phone first - not have them come right up to your driveway and make it obvious that you did the calling. They really would care to know and would want to stop any unseemly behavior w/out getting their witness discovered. Or so it appears in my town.

Michelle said...

I think you should do something about it - it sounds like a lot of creepy things happening. And creepy things tend to lead to dangerous things. And you have sweet little kiddies to protect. (That, and also so you don't have to say "Like, I'm too cool for that, obv" when the cops ask if you saw anything suspicious, and then ask why you never said anything. Because feeling foolish in front of a hot cop is never fun. (Trust me on this. No fun.)

Clink said...

First, I love your blog...I don't think I've commented before and that is directly due to the fact that your page used to crash my computer.

Love for the blog just not from it.

I bought a new computer just so I could read you.

No I'm not a stalker; just weird. And kidding. And in New England. Hi!

So...personally, as someone who used to be up to no good in the woods I can tell you...they are up to no good! Erm maybe they are uh, growing things?

If its always the same kids they are.

Who owns that land?

Avalon said...

Um, Mrs C~~~ Call the police. Seriously. let them ruin the fun. Several years ago, some of us in my neighborhood saw similar goings-on in the woods by our homes. It was Water Company protected land, so I called the Water Company Police.

Seems there were the beginnings of a Meth camp. About 400 feet from our houses.

Cate said...

yeah, call the police.

There's one spot on the central mass rail trail that's pretty notorious for, shall we say, meetups. These things happen. But you don't have to just sit back.
The cops in your town might know already...but if not, they should.

Hannah said...

I've had similar problems here. I've called the police several times. Because while I'm not specifically against pot, I don't want the smoke wafting into my backyard while I'm out there with my kids and puppy.

Also, if they are up to anything on your property and something happens to one of them, you could be liable, even if you didn't know they were growing pot / building a meth lab / splitting the atom.

Agree with the commenter who said ask the police not to park in your driveway. You don't want retaliatory rocks thrown through your windows.

I sympathize. Good luck.

Suburb Sierra said...

Let us know what the police say - because you are going to call, right? A simple "Hey, I have small children at home and there seems to be lots of interest in the woods behind my house. Just wondering if anyone is around the neighborhood if they could just do a few drivebys our way" - I know lots of officers, they'll be more than happy to help a Mom out!

Anonymous said...

..hey what if they are stealing little kids and...

...hey what if they are stealing little girls virginity...

...hey what if they are stealing little brains (from drugs)...

I don't watch CSI or whatever shows you mentioned...

But I wouldn't feel safe - I saw that movie with the cRaZeD pot smoker AND I saw Clockwork Orange...

The_EmilyB said...

I think you should call the police but I would be so tempted it stake it out with a long lens too and then you be just like the person who discovers the trouble right before the first clunk. clunk!

Heather said...

I agree to call. You don't know what kind of seedy people are coming and going and with the nicer weather coming I assume you want to explore the woods around your house.

((hugs))

Tracy said...

I'd call too. And I hope that after you find out what is going on, you report back because now you've got me curious! And it's sunny and 70 degrees here today. :)

courtney said...

I'd call. It sounds like drug dealing and that can always go bad. You don't want it going bad within your eyesight. WIth your kids around.

Rusti said...

Well... my husband would say - oh wait, nevermind... his mind is terribly cynical and pessimistic and he ALWAYS sees trouble... of course he is a Deputy Sheriff and has seen SOO much more than I ever want to of the bad things in life... so I won't tell you what he would say...

but for me? what I would say? definitely ruin the fun. call the police, report the suspicious activity, and yes, make sure to ask them to NOT park in your driveway or in front of your house... some punks don't like to have their fun ruined... and if they really are up to no good, it's better to find out now, than when something goes really bad... especially so close to your house, with your precious girls...

hey, hows a bout you call now? it seems like a good time... please? for our peace of mind? :) mkay, thanks.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Mrs Chicky, call your police department and tell them what you wrote here (please edit it as necessary ok?). Ask them to send patrols to come by more frequently, at odd times of the day. Tell them you are pretty certain there are drug deals going on and you do not feel comfortable in your home. We had a "bad egg" at the end of our street who had all sorts of weird 'visitors' at all hours of the day and night. He moved (thank goodness) but we had decided to call the cops right when my neighbor saw a guy snort a line of cocaine in front of her house. Not cool.

Dorene said...

First of all I am grateful that there is no way to access the woods behind my house. Not unless you start climbing up a hill from the Mass Pike.

Second, if that were behind my house I too would be obsessively watching.

Third, call the cops. That's what they are there for. And you can still watch everything through the window.

Finally, if you are looking for a distraction, I tagged you in a meme:
http://www.occasionalrambling.com/2009/04/list-of-8s.html

If you are interested you can do this after washing you hair. Or before. I opted for after.

Ericka said...

i concur - call them.

and wth is up with the pop up survey when i try to get to your page? not cool.

Julie @ The Mom Slant said...

Agree. Call. None of this sounds like it is good news, nor anything you want happening near your home.

Yes, I am an old bat property owner myself, what of it?

Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com said...

Maybe I'm a crochety home owner, but I'd call the authorities and start snapping away at license plates and the like. But I'd also specify to the authorities that I didn't want to be mentioned in the complaint. Because you know, suspicious activities and all.

motherbumper said...

It's the bong bong by my estimation so I'd call.

Sarah said...

Chicky
I would totally call. I know how you feel about being THAT person, but it sounds a little too close to home. And it TOTALLY sounds illegal.

Good Luck
Sarah

Boston Mamas said...

Well, you've probably already taken action, but if not, pick up the phone the next time your backyard is being used for nefarious activities. I tend to be a tad paranoid, but then again, I have a (convicted felon) stalker in my past (well, it's still sort of present unfortunately) + I got really good at dialing the police when I lived in an apartment building where the first thing I would see out my peephole was the legs of a homeless dude who slept right in front of door every night.

But enough about me. Call as soon as you see the next round of sketchy activity. Even if it means removing your nose from the glass. :-)

-Christine