Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Because we can. Because we should.

Today I was beaten repeatedly with a rattle. I have a fat lip, a bump on my nose and a headache.

Today I was used as a jungle gym and now my back hurts too.

Today I listened to whining, screaming, crying, demanding, and multiple tantrums.

Today I prepared meals for a preschooler who begged for said meals and then didn't eat them.

Today I fed a growing, hungry baby and was immediately puked on. Twice.

Today I changed more diapers than I'd like to remember and the day is not over yet.

Today I dealt with an overtired baby who refused to nap.

Today parenting was pretty exhausting.

But despite it all, today I doled out extra treats and allowed extra TV shows and I gave extra kisses and hugged extra hard. Because I can. I just wish it didn't take a tragedy to make me remember, make us all remember, how good we sometimes have it.

Be at peace, Maddie. And may your mommy and daddy find peace one day too.

------------

After you've hugged your kids maybe you could donate what you can to the March of Dimes in the memory of a very special little girl, Madeline Alice Spohr. And then take a look at this tribute to Maddie. And then go back to hugging your kids.

4 comments:

My Bottle's Up! said...

today i read your blog... and cried. because i've read these all day, while posting my own and taking care of my wee-one... knowing all heather and mike did was take care of precious maddie.

today your post was beautiful.

Redneck Mommy said...

I just wanted to let you know how much I love you.

Smooches.

karengreeners said...

You said it, sister.

My friend's baby died in February. Too many reminders lately to make me ever forget again.

Maggie, Dammit said...

Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

Yes.

Me, too.

Thank you.