Tuesday, July 15, 2008

So, you're headed to Blogher without me.

No I'm not going to Blogher. Yes I'm very sad about this. I'm tired of receiving invitations to parties that I won't be attending. I'm missing the wonderful women I met last year who will either be attending the conference or the BFF get together. Instead I'll be packing up my house because we're moving at the end of August or I'll be sitting on my couch with a newborn attached to my breast. Or maybe I'll be trying my best not to scream at the three year old who pushes me to madness each and every day. Sounds like a good time, doesn't it?

But pouting does not become me. I genuinely want everyone who is going to have a great time, even if I won't be there to share it with you. For you newbies here's a few words of advice: Try not to drink too much because there will be cameras EVERYWHERE (in other words, do as I say not as I do) and drop your guard a little to let in a new friend or 30. Don't forget your swag and your business cards and feel free to pack that extra pair of hot shoes or cute skirt because you won't be alone in your over-packing. And remember that your self perceived awkwardness is just that. You'll be in very good company so smile and shake hands or hug or squeee or do whatever you told your new friends you would in their comments. And fer chrissake, have a good time and have a drink for me.

Me? I already told you what I'll be doing. I'll also be thinking about my Gram and mourning the loss of her. I'm not trying to be a downer. Instead I'd like you to really appreciate the opportunity you have before you. Enjoy every minute to the fullest even if you're completely overwhelmed because as soon as you get on that plane to go home you'll be missing the experience that is Blogher.

In the meantime I'll be sitting here patiently waiting to hear who drank too much, whose shoes were the cutest, who was nicer/nastier/goofier than expected, and all the other news you all will be sharing from San Francisco. And there's always next year. Oh yes, there is next year so drink your fill now because in '09 you'll be fighting me for it.

Love to you all.

*Smooches*

24 comments:

flutter said...

love you too, you know

Lara said...

i am super sad to miss out on meeting you, especially since all i could do was send a card in my stead last year. next year for sure.

in the meantime, if you have time and feel like it, head to my place, check my list, and let me know if you want me to add anything special to it for you. because for you? i'd do it. (as long as it's not a felony.)

Erin said...

I'm not going either...I'm super bummed, but trying to cheer up. There is always next year...

Mrs. Schmitty said...

I haven't been to BlogHer yet..ever. I'm really hoping for next year. Maybe I'll see you there!

karengreeners said...

Well, I'll see you in '09, as I'm heading nowhere this year. Not even to BFF, 90 minutes away. Yes, I am loser. Broke, broke, broke loser.

kittenpie said...

Ah, we'll live vicariously, right?
I think I might be overpacking just for BFF, for that matter, because I can't decide what to bring - and we are talking maternity wear here, so capsule wardrobe is getting a whole new meaning. Sheesh.

But think about the lovely new house... ooh. That sounds good. Like maybe it wouldn't have walls ripped open and whole floors full of dust and construction. Can I come live with you?

SciFi Dad said...

Not going to BlogHer either (although technically I'm a "him" so that isn't as much of a stretch).

Even though BFF is not too far of a drive, I'm not sure about that either.

Mom101 said...

You will be missed.

Liv said...

just keep your twitter up!

we'll find you and keep you up to speed!

i will be wearing gold spikes, fyi.

Mandy said...

Even though you would probably be really busy, I was looking forward to meeting you.

Good luck with your move.

AnnetteK said...

I'm trying really hard not to pout about not going too. I'm really happy for everyone who is - I just wish I could be with them.

You must join us for BlogHerNot 2008 at Mommypie's place http://mommypie.wordpress.com. It'll make you feel much better.

OhTheJoys said...

It won't be the same without you most gorgeous pie.

motherbumper said...

Love you, already miss you, and will totally be tattling on everyone's most embarrassing moments - expect the emails from me to start very very soon. xoxoxoxo

Meg said...

I'm not going either...but mostly because I'm so new at this. I'm really hoping to go next year.

I'm with you in the eagerly anticipating the embarrassing pics.

Daisy said...

just think: instead of wearing cute and probably uncomfortable shoes, you can stay in your pajamas as long as you want to and even go barefoot!

Christina said...

I'm so glad I got to see you in April since you won't be at BlogHer. I'll be missing you - we'll be sure to drink to you at one of the parties! Wine, of course.

Next year. Next year you'll be there and we'll party it up.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Sigh, yes, a partner in "staying behind". I can at least comfort myself with the knowledge that the only humiliating photos of me on the internet will be ones I put up myself.

Anonymous said...

I had really hoped to go too but things haven't worked out so I'm pouting too. Maybe we should have PoutFest2008?

josetteplank.com said...

Sigh.

I'm not going either. I'm a dirt poor.

So, I will share a cyber drink with you.

(However, just for fun, I'm going to burn down Black Hockey Jesus' blog on Sunday morning as a bonfire of love to those who are at BlogHer. He gave me the keys. He has no idea.)

Anonymous said...

don't worry everything will be all right

Anonymous said...

I'm not going either so we'll all just sit by our computers and impatiently wait for email and embarrassing pics...hurry up people. I know Redneck Mommy is getting on a plane right now so she better get a seat with someone she can send pics with soon.

The Domesticator said...

I am sad because I am not going either *sigh*

I thought of you last week as I was driving on the Mass Pike!

Anonymous said...

I think they'll be fighting me - to hug you

I want to be there.

Debbie said...

you were missed.

so very missed.