Tuesday, September 02, 2008

If one more major life change happens I think my head will explode

We're in.

The house, I mean. We're in the new house. Can I just say... Wow. If you're planning on moving with young children don't do it. Take some advice from your pal Chicky and just don't do it. Or, if you decide to not heed my good advice and move anyway, don't expect it to be sunshine and puppies. Not that we expected sunshine and puppies, not even unicorns and rainbows, but maybe flowers and a brass band....

What was I saying?

Oh yeah. Moving.

We're exhausted. Moving, whether it's five miles or five hundred miles, is tough. And to add insult to injury C.C. has decided that sleeping at night really isn't her thing and partying at 3am is. So that's fun.



Alright, she was sleeping in this picture. And maybe we forgot she was out there with all the commotion going on. But when we remembered she was still sleeping so it's totally okay and not necessary to call the proper authorities on us.

The new house is fantastic, I think, but it's hard to see the house for the boxes. Our anniversary was this weekend, but that kind of got overlooked in all the madness. I'll have all sorts of stories soon but I have something much more important on my mind today.

Chicky has started school.

My baby started preschool this morning. I'll admit I did get a little teary eyed when she took her friend's hand and they walked into the classroom without so much as a kiss goodbye. I'm a big enough woman to own up to it. I'm a bit weepy this morning. She's never been to anything like this before without me. She's never been to daycare, never had a babysitter who wasn't a relative or close friend even. Cutting the cord is tough, I just didn't expect it to be done so quickly and without any ceremony. And without even a hug.



With her new "pack pack". If I had a pack pack I'd keep my Zoloft in it.

But while she's at school I need to unpack more and find the cat, which I'm pretty sure is in a box around here somewhere, so I'll be back soon with those stories I promised before. Because the world loves a good moving story. It's right up there with a play by play of your great Uncle Harold's gall bladder surgery. You're excited, I can tell.

23 comments:

All Things BD said...

Congrats on the successful move! The last two moves we made before relocating to Texas were done while I was pregnant. The first, when I was eight months along, the second when I was 8 weeks along with a toddler in tow. Both times were a joy, to be sure. At least it got me out of lifting heavy boxes.

Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

What a great first day of school picture. My daughter used to call it a "pack pack" too. That's funny.

We may move in a coupe of years (you know, once we FINALLY finish all our home improvement projects) and I am not looking forward to it.

Whirlwind said...

What a great first day of school. Moe was the same way - only we went into the classroom with her (how else could we sneak her late but not quite late to need a late slip sisters into school without going through the main office?). But she was all smiles and get the hell out of here mommy. And yup, she's got a pack pack too. I'll post later - to busy putting furniture together while she's gone.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

So much better to have a happy "bye mom!" than a weeping "you can't go!"

She looks adorable. Happy Unpacking!

Anonymous said...

Breathe deep and keep unpacking. When my kids were between 0 and 7 we moved nine times. Interstate.

I feel your pain.

Greens and Pinks said...

Pretty much why we moved when I was 32 weeks pregnant. I figured it'd be better to sit on my fat pregnant ass and direct traffic and deal with one kid rather than move with a toddler and a newborn. God bless you, girl.

Oh, and Charlotte starts school tomorrow. I'm thinking I may need to bring you a latte tomorrow morning (to cry into if need be!)

Brandy said...

Oh how I remember moving while preg., then with a baby, then with a toddler, then with a school age kid and a toddler, then again with those two, and then once more with the same two! Yes we moved 3 times in the same year while building our house. I am here to stay... at least til the kids are out of school.

My daughter called it a "pack pack" too.

mamatulip said...

Oh, "pack pack". My kids called it a pack pack too. SO SWEET. And I didn't have the heart to correct them. Julia still says "pixture" and I let her go right ahead.

Congrats on surviving the move - it ain't easy with kids. I can't wait to hear your moving story, seriously - after our last move, I appreciate a good moving story.

Namito said...

Congratulations...on both the move (O how I know) and on Chicky's starting school.

Good luck finding the cat.

Mandy said...

Glad to hear you survived the move!

SciFi Dad said...

I'm going to bookmark this post and the inevitable blow-by-blow that follows for my wife the next time she mentions moving.

Also? I'd love it if my daughter could go into another room with a friend without a massive anxiety attack about my whereabouts while she is in said room.

Heather said...

Chicky looks very excited. That's so great...even if it's sort of sad for us moms.

Crazed Nitwit said...

You have my complete and total empathy on the move and the off without a look good bye. HUG.

Avalon said...

At least CeCe was on the porch with some leftover rations on the table.

And Chicky. Well, let's just say she will HAVE to be the cutest pack-pack girl in preschool.

Anonymous said...

AAAAWWWWW. She is adorable! I'm glad it was a smooth transition because a crying child is so much harder to leave. My twins are only 17 months old and they cry when I leave to go to work and it kills me EVERY DAY. I'm going to have such a complex from leaving them to go to work.

kittenpie said...

Yay, Chicky! Seriosuly, that is such good news. Mine started JK today, too, and off she went.

And glad to hear the move went reasonably well and you're happy in the new place. We moved when Pumpkinpie was 3 months old, too. Yeah. You'd think we'd learn... But as Misterpie said the other night, if you don't have at least three major things on the go at once, you're just not living.

Don Mills Diva said...

Hope you start to feel settled in soon - the house looks gorgeous!

Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog) said...

Aww, Chicky, she is adorable all ready for school! I had the same experience last week, and I am in complete agreement that it's harder for us than it is for them. Although, as all of my friends have promised, it has gotten easier (you know, I'm a pro after 3days!), and you will find that the time apart is great for both of you and makes you appreciate your time with her so much more.

Congrats on the new house! Once all those boxes are unpacked and you're happily settled in, you're going to be thrilled and you'll forget all that icky moving stuff. Kind of like having babies, right?

Cakabaker said...

Glad you are in the new house and that the unpacking has begun.
Wow,school already, where does the time go? And, the cord is not cut yet, just "loosend" :)

Heather said...

congrats on the move. Unpacking is something I wish didn't have to happen. I think there are still a couple of stray boxes that still haven't been unpacked and we have been in our house for nearly 3 years!

Congrats to Chicky starting school. She looks so grownup! Glad she did it without a fight, I know it is hard, but believe me it would have been harder if she was freaking out.

Rusti said...

she.is.adorable! I can't even say it enough - super cute! awwwwww....

congrats on the move! hopefully we'll be able to sell our house and get moved before our little Copper shows up, but if not I'll feel some of your pain...

cute pack pack too ;)

Ruth Dynamite said...

Time flies...and now little Chicky's off to school!

Hope things settle down as you settle in!

carrie said...

Oh, congrats on being done with the move! Let the unpacking begin! (Gee . . . that sounds like so much fun).

Love the pack pack! We have one of those too!