Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Better this than the real thing

When I came home from Blogher Boston last Sunday Mr. C and Chicky were playing outside. It was a nice day out so why not, right? It's not like they had been stuck inside on a glorious fall weekend at some conference. No, I'm not bitter.

Chicky had requested that her dad draw her some pictures in sidewalk chalk on the driveway. Then she demanded he draw her family. I had barely gotten out of the car before she was excitedly showing me the picture her daddy had drawn of him, her mommy, Chicky, and her baby sister.

This is what she showed me:


My husband will never be mistaken for a great artist but I thought it was a good likeness given the medium.

Okay it kinda sucks, but I didn't marry the guy for his mad chalk skillz.

However, once I got past the crude, caveman-like feeling of the drawing and looked a bit closer I noticed something a little troubling. Or sort of funny. It all depends on how you look at it.

Can you see it? Look closer.



The picture of me is fine, even if my nose is humongous, but that thing in my arms? That's supposed to be C.C. Her face looks a little bit, um, mutilated, don't you think? Those scribbles were not there originally. They were added later by a certain three year old art critic.

Whenever people ask me how Chicky is adapting to the arrival of her little sister I always tell them as well as any kid would. She loves her, she hates her. She wants to squeeze her until her little baby head pops right off.

Apparently, she also wants to scribble out her face.

I think Chicky is adapting just fine.

19 comments:

SciFi Dad said...

All I have to say is better the driveway/chalk version than the real thing.

Washable markers or not, baby siblings are not for scribbling on.

Crazed Nitwit said...

You keep that sense of humor and you'll survive. My older son ignored younger one completely until younger one began getting into his toys. 2nd son's first word: MINE!

Heather said...

The chalk drawing really isn't half bad,I mean he didn't resort to stick people.

She seems to be adjusting fine :O)

Patois42 said...

Is yellow her favorite color? Maybe she's just so in love with the baby that she wants to just smother her in yellow. Sounds like an older sibling for me.

His artistic ability puts mine to shame.

Issa said...

I'm actually kind of relieved to see this. My four year old....not so fond of her baby brother. Some times she wants to love on him, other time she calls him, it.

So, I'm going to say, it's completely normal.

Rusti said...

LOL - love it. love it all. thanks for the chuckle :)

Heather said...

yep, she's doing fine!

Meg said...

Seriously you could make some money off that man. Nice to see Chicky is adapting...and working through her feelings with a nicely erasable medium.

motherbumper said...

I never ever noticed the nostril flare before but now that I'm looking back at my pictures... OH I kid. And as the youngest of my family, scribbled chalk on my face was the least of my fears when it came to being put in my place by my sis or bro.

Anonymous said...

I think those chalk drawings are amazing! I traced my husband on the sidewalk and his head was all Beetlejuice tiny while his body looked humongous. Wish I could attach a picture...

Binky said...

I'm pretty sure The Boss would've erased any chalk renderings of Number Two. She doesn't have any "love him" moments. She is not yet his biggest fan. She's not a fan at all, actually.

So I'd say Chicky is doing better than fine.

jen @ negative lane said...

The legendary book Siblings Without Rivalry actually recommends letting kids draw (and mutilate, if they choose) pictures of their family in an effort to deal with their feelings. When I read the book, I wasn't sure if I believed it would work, but Chicky has proven to me that there's something to the theory. Now it sounds like an excellent coping strategy (and one infinitely preferable to some of the possible alternatives in acting out feelings).

The Stiletto Mom said...

could be worse....we got a picture once with a big black X over the baby. when asked, our son said "x marks the spot for a big kiss..." yeah, we didn't buy it either.

Mandy said...

One day, I'm sure it will be on her face. Perhaps you have a budding artist on your hands. :)

BOSSY said...

Bossy can't hear you, because all she can worry about is: You went to a BlogHer thing without Bossy?

Anonymous said...

Definitely better that she take out her jealousy on the drawing than on the baby!

Having a second kid scares me for all those jealousy problems. Oy. Not looking forward to that!

Velma said...

I didn't even notice the mutilated baby at first, because I was struck by how close your chalk hand is to your husband's chalk crotch... heh!

Alex Elliot said...

At least it's chalk. My son took a sharpie to his room and his brother's furniture. I have no doubt that if his brother had been there he would scribbled red sharpie on him as well!

Hula Hank said...

I thought you were holding a hot apple pie.