Friday, January 18, 2008

(Not so) Little Pink Houses

Oh boy. If you're tired and out of shape, slightly nauseous and frustrated from fighting with your perscription drug insurance company, carrying a growing belly, running after an excitable toddler, nursing a sore back, fatigued from an iron deficiency (pretty sure that's what the constant fatigue is from, it is not a thyroid problem as the test has shown), and dim of brain to the point where spelling "deficiency" and "nauseous" necessitates a spell check, exactly what you DO NOT WANT TO DO for an entire afternoon is look at houses with a Realtor. For Realz.
But that's what Chicky and I did yesterday. Three houses and an evaluation of our home in four hours. I've had almost a full day to recuperate but I'm still typing this with one eye open.

We're house hunting, as I mentioned the other day. I did mention that, yes? Ooh brain. Wheeeeee.

Over the weekend we even put a refundable deposit down on a piece of land in a nice development. But I think we'll be getting that deposit back because I don't think it's the right time to do this. Something feels... Off. And if I can't pull off a busy afternoon house hunting without needing a two hour nap the next day (Did I mention I stopped writing this to nap? Sometime after my brain went Bzzzzzt and shorted and sparked like our microwave did the other day. And that Chicky is still sleeping and has been for three and a half hours? Clearly we need to add some cardio or weight training to our every day routine) getting a house built right when I'm about to pop out a baby probably isn't the best idea.

And I think my priorities are messed up. One of the houses we looked at was pink - yes, the outside of the house was pretty, pretty princess pink, complete with crystal chandeliers, throw-up-in-your-mouth pink walls in almost all the rooms and shit like that - and I thought Yeah, we can do something with this. Or the other home that was lousy with square footage and I caught myself saying Too small, way too small. Too small? Who the hell do I think I am? Imelda Marcos and I need a separate room for my shoes?

A woman who clearly should not be making this big decision right now, that's who.

(Um, my shoe collection has gotten a bit out of control. It would be easier to just move it all to a separate room than try to organize it.)

So I think we're going to stay here for another year or two. Totally anti-climactic. Sorry. But as everything else in my life, everything is subject to change at a moment's notice. We might find our dream house due to my obsessive Realtor.com searching. Our dream house in our price range sans bubble gum pink walls. Or Mr. C could get transferred and move us halfway across the country. And I could have a major aneurysm and my eyes could pop out and roll down the hallway from the stress of it all. It could happen.

23 comments:

Don Mills Diva said...

I hope THAT doesn't happen. You're right not to proceed with the house when it doesn't feel right. When it does, you will.

ewe are here said...

I didn't want to move late in my pregnancy with Baby Boo, so we didn't look until a couple of months after he arrived.... Of course, dragging a 2 year old and a baby around househunting presented its own unique challenges... ;-)

motherbumper said...

I felt tired reading thizzzzzzzzzzzz... good lord it's contagious (if I'm pregnant, I'm blaming YOU!).

Just reading about house hunting/ selling/ building makes me feel stressed. Staying put until baby arrives sounds like a great idea.

Loralee Choate said...

You're probably wise to not make such a huge decision right now.

And? I understand the prescription drug battle. It was hell getting approval for Zofran. :S

flutter said...

Dude. I need a nap.

Blog Antagonist said...

That's a big decision and if it doesn't feel right, then you're right to back off. A pink house with pink walls? ((shudder))

OhTheJoys said...

We've pulled back from looking too. The market seems kind of odd anyway.

(BTW - did ROFL's die?)

Anonymous said...

the most stressful time of my life. I can't imagine househunting while pregnant. With a toddler. Exhausts me just thinking about it.

Ali said...

you are more than welcome to move your shoe collection into my house if you'd like ;)

kittenpie said...

At least if your eyeballs pop out, the pink walls wouldn't bother you... Or, you know, you could paint them.

But yes, house hunting is draining and emotional at the best of times, so I can see where you might not think this was the best of times. Of course, we bought our house when I was about 7 months pregnant, and moved in when Pumpkinpie was 3 months, but we only had the one belly/child to deal with, which really helps quite a lot.

Now go get some sleep, you.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

If you buy that pink house, no matter what color you paint it, your neighbors will forever call it "the pink house". We had a house in my childhood neighborhood where a newlywed couple moved into it---10 years later, they were still simply "the newlyweds".

karengreeners said...

we moved into our house when I was 3 months pregnant the first time 'round. On moving day I was so ill that I lay on the couch until there was nothing left to load into the truck and they HAD to take it, and it was the first thing unloaded so that I could lay back down on it.
So, good move with the no moving.

slow panic said...

girl, you are going to get through this crazy time in your life and look back amazed that you survived. keep taking those naps and snuggling with that toddler. good luck with the house hunt.

Amy Urquhart said...

My husband and I were thinking about moving a few months ago and I am relieved that we will be staying put. Can you imagine trying to pack? Ugh.

Assertagirl

Manic Mommy said...

I absolutely love to look as houses. Give me your specs and I'll find the house (sans pregnancy brain).

We house-hunted while I was pregnant with HRH and I can't tell you how many houses we had to leave because of my off-the-charts hyper olfactory system. The one where they'd refinsihed the floors was *the worst*

Anonymous said...

You mean to tell me my dreams of coming to visit you and finding you live in a Pepto Bismal pink house is never going to happen???

I'm crushed. I guess I'll find comfort in chocolate and the fact that your eyeballs aren't going to pop out and roll down the hallway.

Cuz that's a creepy visual.

L said...

We went house hunting while I was pregnant with number 2 as well. And we also decided to wait awhile after searching and finding lots of frogs on the market at the time.

It will happen eventually and I bet your new place will not be hot pink.

Anonymous said...

Speaking from experience stay put for a while!! I did the house hunting with a toddler and a brand new baby and it was not a pleasent experience, hence why I hate the house we have! Take your time and when the time is right the house will be there.

Jeff and Charli Lee said...

Yuk. I can't think of anything I hate more. My wife had to trick me into viewing our current house before we bought it because she knew I wouldn't go house hunting. Fortunately for both of us we liked it and didn't have to look any further. That was 16 years ago.

FENICLE said...

We were in the process (before the staph infection from hell) to get our house on the market & I've been scouring Realtor.com too :)

It's nice to dream!! Good luck.

Alex Elliot said...

We've wanted to move for a few years, but after a lot of self-reflection (or pointed remarks from my husband, family and friends) I realized that we needed to wait until I could get to the place where I could keep my house immaculate. That wasn't when I had a newborn. Now we're thinking this January.

Bon said...

i love browsing houses online, but the reality of searching and financing and MOVING terrifies me and makes me want to hide under my couch. and i'm not even pregnant.

so when we talk about family expansion, we're now talking about kiddos sharing a room for a couple of years. i think it'll be character building. hopefully for them as opposed to me. :)

Sarahviz said...

Wise decision, girlie...you sound a little...um...hormonal?