Monday, May 14, 2007

Killing two bloggers with one stone

Like that would ever happen. I played first base so, consequently, I have no arm. I couldn't hit the broad side of a blogger if I tried.

Not that the bloggers I met this weekend had a broad side. I didn't notice any broad sides. I was too busy trying to talk myself out of saying really inappropriate things like, "Wow, you're hair is really shiny in person. Can I touch it? How about if I just sniff it?" to notice if they had a broad side.

As a matter of fact, I should just drop the whole broad side thing all together. This is exactly what I told myself I would not do when I decided to go off in search of real blogging women, outside of their computers - say stupid shit. I guess I just can't help myself.

To reiterate, there were no broad sides. But there was shiny hair. And, no, I didn't sniff it.

Anywhoo...

Part of my Mother's Day gift to me was to get the hell away from the computer and meet some of these amazing women in real life. So I headed off to the book store - yes, the book store - to meet Boston Mommy, Meredith O'Brien, one of the women writers that inspired me to start my own blog. Meredith recently wrote a book, did you know that? A funny one. A book about motherhood that takes off the gloves and laughs in the face of competi-mommies everywhere. And on Saturday she was at a local bookseller signing copies of A Suburban Mom: Notes from the Asylum - a book that I really must insist that you go and buy right now - and I had a chance to shake her hand and chat with her for a few minutes.

Do you know what? Not only was she gracious and funny but she was also stunningly good looking. Really. Gorgeous in that way that you just can't hate a woman for because she just seemed so genuinely nice. I hate to harp on another woman's physical attributes but it's hard when you're talking with someone and you keep thinking "She's got three kids and her skin looks great. How does she do that?"

It was a pleasure to meet Meredith, and I would have loved to have had more time with her, but her public was waiting and I had bogarted enough of her time already. So I went off to the coffee shop to wait for my next victim blog date with the lady of Cape Buffalo.

And I waited.

And I waited.

(hey, at least I had a good book to read)

And I waited.

When in she came, frantically apologizing, with her adorable daughter in tow. I couldn't fault her for being late because 1) I was sitting in a coffee shop, sipping iced coffee, and reading a book without a toddler trying to get my attention, 2) I'm the one that's usually late, and 3) She had just taken her 7 year old to get their nails done. Would you be ticked off at a mom who took her kid to get pedicures the day before Mother's Day? Didn't think so.

I knew I was going to like Kara as soon as she sat down. Those of you who know her will back me up when I say Kara is just one of those people you want to be friends with. I don't know what it was about her but she put me instantly at ease, which is no mean feat since I'm usually a bundle of nerves when I meet someone for the first time. But then she told me a story about losing one of her cats in my hometown years ago, when she lived no where near my hometown, so I figure we must be cosmically linked some way. Yeah, it's fate. I truly believed after hearing that story we were destined to be BFFs, have slumber parties, and braid each other's hair, but then, as she and her daughter were helping me pick out some books for Chicky, she took a call from a friend who, as luck would have it, is adopting a puppy very soon. And Kara told that friend that she didn't have to search for a dog trainer because she had (to paraphrase) the best dog trainer in the area to recommend to her.

That would be me for those of you playing at home.

I'm thinking of making her my agent. Or my pimp. She can sell me to whomever she wants as long as she keeps saying nice things like that.

I'm so easy.

So, that was just Saturday of my Mother's Day weekend. This doesn't even cover Sunday, a day that started with getting to sleep late, included a picnic and a gift, and finished with Coq au vin and a good bottle of Chianti (somewhere a French chef's head is exploding) prepared from scratch by my husband. The chicken, not the wine. If he could cook and make wine I'd keep him locked in my basement so no one could steal him. But if you had tasted his Coq au vin you might want to steal him anyway. It was to die for.

Come to think of it, I wonder what size shackles my husband would need?

Hope all you moms enjoyed your weekends!

23 comments:

Kara said...

Oh my GAWD with the waiting. I am a TOOL and not one of the useful kind. Just a chronically late one with really bad split ends- I assume you were talking about Boston Mom's hair being shiny, right?).

Seriously, people, Chicky is amazing and has the nicest skin I've seen on anyone over the age of 6 months... and perfect hair. If I didn't like her so much, I'd kind of have to hate her. You know, for all the cuteness and skinniness, and cute clothes and perfect skin.

SUEB0B said...

I am officially jealous of your blog meet-ups!

Lawyer Mama said...

Sounds like a great weekend! Toddler free time? Sounds heavenly!

Magpie said...

I like your husband! Mine called in sick yesterday, so we had frozen pizza!

Lisa said...

Oh that sounds like such a fabulous time. I'm dying to meet you Chicky and Kara.

Oh to be a fly on the ceiling when listening to your conversations. heehee.

Major Bedhead said...

Oooh, a Le Crueset pot. Nice. I covet those.

I'm jealous of your meetups, too. I'm out here in the hinterlands. You know, the area west of 495. Yes, it's amazing but true, people do actually live out here.

mr. big dubya said...

Kara was late? Never.

I kid. I kid because I love. She is one of my (our) best friends. And I say that even after she gave a geriatric Mr. Potato Head that looked like he should be researching assisted living homes for my 40th.

And how cute is Mags?

Blog Antagonist said...

What a fabulous weekend! I love to meet bloggy people. Your Mother's Day sounds fab. What a great husband. Does the Coq Au Vin make up for the furnace thing? ;?)

Amie Adams said...

Okay, BlogHer can't come fast enough. You'd think I live in the middle of nowhere--I've yet to meet a blogger in the flesh.

Glad you had a good time. The bookstore alone would have been enough for me.

Cristina said...

Sounds like a fun meet-up! And getting that time in the coffee shop without a toddler sounds like a dream!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

CB - Stop, you're making me blush. You're not a tool. Meeting you was well worth the wait.

Julia - Don't forget, I live west of 495 too. Massachusetts is not that big of a state, my friend. Hint, hint.

Big Dub - I heard all about the potato head. Sounds like the best gift, evah.

BA - Make up for for the lack of heat? In a word, No.

Julie Marsh said...

A picnic. That sounds like such a good idea. I haven't gone on a picnic in ages.

What a great weekend, especially meeting CB. And having someone cook for you (we went with filet, baked potatoes, and asparagus).

Binky said...

You sound like the perfect person to coordinate a New England blogger get together!

Yes, that was me nominating you. Aren't you honored? ;)

Unknown said...

That is awesome! -running off to look at that book...

Girlplustwo said...

i've got me some shackles...and i can't believe you didn't mention the grand finale of the Sox mother's day game. sister...i was so thinking of you in the 9th.

Girl con Queso said...

Okay, that sounds amazing. I spent mother's day covered in kid vomit. But that's another story entirely.

Unknown said...

I'm thinking that it is definately time to get a New England bloggers thing going. Maybe in a big park. With food. And drinks. Lots of drinks. Where we can talk unfettered by keyboards.

I'll help coordinate if anyone else wants to step up to the plate.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a good time! I must be living in a void, I did not know about her book.

best home teeth whitener

PunditMom said...

You temptress! You know I love when you link to your wines! That's a yummy one and I think I'll do the Coq au vin thing this weekend! BTW, did you ever find out how her skin and hair looked so good? I could use some help there! ;)

ewe are here said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous Mother's Day Weekend!

kittenpie said...

Ah, I love meeting the blogger ladies. They haven't failed me yet! How wonderful.

Ruth Dynamite said...

Sounds like a really fun time.

So when is the New England blog party?

Major Bedhead said...

Mrs. Chicky - you DO? Why did I think you were in Cambridge or Newton or one of those swanky places? Ok, we'll have to meet up soon. Before I have time to get all freaked out about what I'm going to wear and how I look in those jeans and, and, and.

Margalit - Count me in.