Saturday, September 23, 2006

More Wile E. Coyote than Roadrunner

I stunk at tag as a kid. I was never a fast runner and, let's face it, I was never as wily as I should have been for such a game. That being said, as an adult I've learned to appreciate a good game of tag, especially when it doesn't result in a large, red, hand shaped welt on my shoulder. Even better when it allows me talk about me. A meme, if you will.

The queen of Binkytown has tagged me for an interesting one about the book I'm currently reading. Actually, the rules are that I'm to grab the closest book and tell you about lines 5 through 8 on page 123. Why those particular lines on that particular page? I have no idea.

Now, a book. Hmm... There's a stack next to me so I'll take the top one.

"... responding to his menacing outbursts by saying things like, 'Are you being a guard dog? Are you protecting me?' In other words, she rewarded the behavior, sent him steady little signals that his aggression was warranted."

-
from Pack of Two: The intricate bond between people and dogs by Caroline Knapp

You knew there had to be a book about dogs on top of my stack, didn't you? This is a good one. It's not a 'dog book', per se, but a book about a damaged woman (who isn't?) and the dog she loved. I love real life stories of people and their pets, especially when they're messy and real.

Have you got a book next to you that you'd like to share? Consider yourself tagged.

______________________________________________________

It is a complete coincidence - I swear! - that my latest post at Dog Gone Blog is about dog aggression. More specifically about that whole fiasco with Joey Porter's (of the Steelers) dogs killing a horse. Yeah, it's opinionated. Did you expect anything less?

9 comments:

ms blue said...

Oh, yah I was dreading gym class. Hell I still run like a girl. I was never the first to be chosen to be on a team. Not once. No, no, it's ok. Really I don't need to work it out in therapy!

I know how to play nice. I will throw my book in the ring in the near future.

carrie said...

Hmmmm, you, a dog book?? Strange!

Closest book to me is Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult. Trust me, it's a good one.

Carrie

Anonymous said...

Tag wasn't as bad as dodgeball. Dodgeball was cruel.

motherbumper said...

sweet - I'm gonna post that one right now. And I so sucked at tag. Recess was a nightmare for me.

Her Bad Mother said...

I'm with IAI - dodgeball is the purer evil.

Redneck Mommy said...

In the science book on my desk (yes, I'm a closet geek, but please love me anyway) page 123 is a hand drawn sketch of Humphry Davy's lectures at the Royal Institution, which were immensely popular due to his eloquence and the novelty of his experiments.

How's that for exciting?

Now I'm off to read about doggy aggression...

Creative-Type Dad said...

Ohhhhh, I used to LOVE "tag" (or its other incarnation "it").
If there were an Olympic Sport, I would have been on the cover of Wheaties...

Chaotic Mom said...

I've been reading tech journals (Adobe stuff) lately, nothing interesting. Here's an excerpt, though, from a book I read to my boys at night, a compendium of kids' stories:

(page 123, lines 5-8)
" When the girl was shown to her room, she was surprised to see that the bed was piled high with twenty feather mattresses."

Know the story? ;)

kittenpie said...

I hate tag too... but not this kind. I'll join in the game in a day or two when I have a minute. Pretty sure I'll still be reading this same book.