Monday, February 09, 2009

Do you see what I see?

I closely monitor what Chicky watches on television. If she watches commercial television chances are she's watching it with me. What can I say? We like Ellen. We are fools for the dancing.

It's important to me to be with her when she's bombarded with images of Barbies and sugary fruit snacks but it's also important for me to police the type of shows she's watching for mainly selfish reasons. Children's television is relatively harmless and some is downright entertaining for everyone in the family - like Yo Gabba Gabba, for instance - but some children's television just bugs me. Yeah, it's great that my kid is learning bits of Spanish from Dora but WHY DOES SHE HAVE TO YELL! EVERYTHING THAT COMES OUT OF HER MOUTH IS SOOO ANNOYING! AND SHE REPEATS THINGS! OVER! AND OVER! AND OVER! AND OVER!!!!

It's exhausting.

But I'm not perfect (yeah, we've kinda established that huh?), sometimes I turn on the television and go attend to other things and let the TV babysit while the baby is squalling. Last week we had one of those days and imagine my surprise, nay, horror when I walked into the living room with a cranky teething baby in my arms and saw this on the TV (sorry for the small picture):



Tell me you see what I see, please? Don't make me spell it out. Sure, there's two holes where there should be one, but the damn thing even has pubes.

I think the creator of that show is having a good laugh at our expense. After the shock wore off, I had a really good laugh too.

13 comments:

Yarasawat (BatGirl!) said...

What the heck channel was that?

This is why I stick with PBS and a few trusted videos.

Atlanta Mommy said...

So true. I can't bear to listen to Dora anymore. Once, just to see what my daughter would, I put on the spanish version of Dora. She actually got really upset. Mommy, what's wrong with Dora? Mommy, I don't like this, WHAT'S WRONG WITH DORA? It was great.

Avalon said...

It's been so long that I only see a pig with glasses. Sad.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Boy did I have to turn the monitor every which way but I think I got it. I think someone gave that poor pig a bad nose circumcision.

Anonymous said...

I just spit diet coke on my keyboard. Thanks, I needed a good giggle to get me through the rest of my afternoon.

BOSSY said...

Yea, so, um, about that photo, er, uh: fer christsake!

Heather said...

That's just wrong.

metalia said...

Hee! Of course *I* see what's wrong here. OF COURSE. (Speaking of which, I'm emailing you. I have more awesome unintentional hilarity to share.)

Patois42 said...

I don't know how kindly it would take to being called "small," even though you were referring to the size of the picture.

kittenpie said...

Gee, I've seen Peppa Pig before and never gotten that image before - but I will now. Thanks for that!

And yeah, around hre it's just the commercial-free kids channels that get viewing. Except the baby, who watches Ellen with me. I hate that he keeps turning toward the tv even when I have him faced away as I tnd to but thre it is. Hey, I need to have something too, right?

Tony said...

Another hater of Dora. HOO HOO!

We have tried to squash this show at every turn. We've always tried to get our daughter (3) into shows that were somewhat educational and as bearable as possible. Dora mainly fails the latter requirement. If I have to hear that FRIGGING MAP SONG ONE MORE TIME!!! And SAY BACKPACK!! SAY BACKPACK!! The tone and expression on Dora's face make it seem like you have 5 seconds before you need to choose to cut the red or blue wire. All toddler shows are repetitive to some extent, but Dora is too much so.

We never introduced Dora to her like we did with Little Einsteins and Super Why in particular. But somehow, she discovered it. I still have investigators out trying to find who the culprit was.

Luckily she has asked for it only occasionally and it hasn't become a regular in her "lineup".

Maureen Fitzgerald said...

I have to say that I find the red dildo from Yo Gabba Gabba even more disturbing!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, I hadn't even noticed that until I read further. I did think it was ugly, but... yeah. I find most children's shows of today to be quite annoying. What happened to the awesome cartoons from the 80's? I need to find THOSE on DVD and then not let my kid watch anything else.