Friday, November 09, 2007

MotherTalk Book Tour Review - the Daring Book for Girls


I don't usually do reviews on this blog, saving them instead for my reviews-only site. But I don't want you to think of this as a review but a sincere plea for you to go out and buy The Daring Book for Girls by Andrea J. Buchanan and Miriam Peskowitz for any of the girls in your life.

I had so much fun reading The Daring Book. Chicky is only 2 and a half and far too young for this book yet (I would say it's better geared toward 8 year old to about 12 year old girls) but when she's old enough I'll be ready. The book is a nice combination of old fashioned fun - like making friendship bracelets, I don't think I ever knew how to make them correctly even when I was a girl - and inspirational true stories for the empowered woman-in the making. For instance, there's a section on historic women pirates. How cool is that? Pirates! Yar. And it's immediately followed by a chapter called "A short history of women inventors and scientists". Cool x Pi to the fifth power.

I will admit that as a forever tomboy I'm more drawn to the chapters that seemed to say "Yeah, you're a girl but that doesn't mean you can't have as much fun as the boys" and less interested in the sections like writing letters and making daisy chains. But let's face it, when I was a girl, skinning my knees and racing my pink Huffy with the boys in my neighborhood, I was also interested in many of the stereotypical girly things like trying to master a cartwheel. I never did, but there's a section in the book that teaches you how to and how to do a back walk-over. I guess I'll have to stick to making ivy crowns. It's probably safer that way.

If I had nieces I would be buying them The Daring Book for Girls for Christmas. It's a blast. I don't, but when Chicky gets older she's going to think I'm the coolest mom ever when I help her make a fort in the backyard and we pretend to be spies. I'm looking forward to that.

19 comments:

PunditMom said...

I loved this book, too (and reviewed it today, as well).

From one former tomboy to another, I saw let's help our daughters understand how much fun we had when we were little!

Phoenix said...

I looked at it the other day and thought about getting it, but my oldest niece is not quite 6 yet. Maybe I'll go back and buy it and save it.

Glad to have the review....cause there was only so much time I could look at it in the store.

kittenpie said...

I was excited to hear about this, ran out to the bookstore, and... didn't buy it. Pumpkinpie is so far from ready for this ind of stuff, and there are just so many other things I want to share with her, bookwise, before then, I bought Doctor De Soto, instead.

motherbumper said...

It's an awesome book and I look forward to discussing my raise with Bumper.

Whirlwind said...

Thanks for the review. I may just pick this up for my Best Friend's birthday next week. Grabbing one for myself as well.

OhTheJoys said...

Purchased. Whatever you say.

Toni said...

I may just have to buy this for my almost 8 year old daughter and nearly 9 year old niece! Thanks for the heads up!

Lawyer Mama said...

I'm reviewing it too. Also loved it. I flipped through it and immediately saw the section on how to negotiate a salary. All the stuff you want to teach your girls. It's fabulous.

Bon said...

i think i may have to go out and find a girl to buy this for...unless it comes complete with one?

Anonymous said...

Will check it out. Sounds like a perfect Christmas present for my 11 year old daughter.

Thanks for the heads up, Chicky.

b*babbler said...

This looks so good, I may need to buy it for myself (Peanut being oh, just a wee bit too young, precocious as she is and all).

josetteplank.com said...

I work at one of the Big Chain Bookstores, and I just had a good ole time reading this book last night. The Dangerous Book for Boys, is fun, too, and I'd wager that most 8-12yo girls would love a copy of both.

Cheryl said...

Ya know, I teach 4th grade... and I'm thinking maybe this would be a good pick for the classroom library. :)

Lisa said...

I've got it and have yet to crack it open. But after reading your review, I've GOT to check it out tonight.

Yeay! Its always nice to hear from another tomboy who also liked the girly-girl stuff.

Magpie said...

It's on my wishlist! I hope someone buys for us for Christmas. I already have the Boys version, even though I only have the girl.

Beck said...

I actually have a copy of that for The Girl and a copy of the boy one for The Boy all stashed away for Christmas!

Creative-Type Dad said...

I checked it out last week. It was interesting - who knew that Julia Child was a spy?!?!

Cakabaker said...

I saw a review for the boys one and thought about getting that one for my neice that is preggo with a boy and was wondering about the girl one, thanks!

Lori said...

I'm glad I saw this! I've been contemplating this book, but haven't seen it "in person" yet. I'll have to get it for my daughters.