Friday, May 07, 2010

We interupt this blog with a special "I Hate Mother's Day" announcement...

I still don't like Mother's Day very much.

However...

There are others who hate it with a white hot fiery passion for reasons only they can explain and those people deserve to be recognized.

*getting on my (wee, tiny) soapbox*

*really, it's more like a palette than a box*

*okay fine, it's a bath mat*

Last year I wrote this post about my feelings about this upcoming Sunday
.

(If you haven't figured out what this Sunday is, that would be Mother's Day. Please catch up and don't forget to hold onto your travel buddy's hand. Wouldn't want you to get lost again. Poor dear.)

Since then, many, many people have Googled the words "I Hate Mother's Day" and have ended up here. To you random web searchers, may I offer you a hearty welcome and a scone? Because gurrl, we've all got some issues to work out, now don't we?

As I said last year, I am more than happy to open up this safe place as a virtual support group for fellow pseudo-holiday-for-those-of-the-maternal-persuasion haters. Please, if you're here because you found your fingers flying over your keyboard in a fit of rage, feel free to vent 'til your heart's content.

(Ooh, that rhymed. Sweet.)

You obviously need a space to express your feelings about your mom, your wife, your husband/boyfriend/baby daddy, or yourself and motherhood as a whole. I applaud you for having the guts to write it out, even if you did so anonymously. I hope it helped a little. Here, that scone wasn't very big. Have a cookie.

If, however, you feel more comfortable lurking in the shadows might I suggest you have a gander at some other, very passionate comments on that post and know you are not alone.

Or if you're one of those well-adjusted types - I hear rumors of that strange breed walking amongst us, those with not a hint of chip on their shoulder or darkness in their heart - maybe you could impart some wisdom upon those of us who would like a glimpse into the mind of someone who doesn't go through the day with a grudge, a whimper or a sigh.

As for me, when I used the word "hate" I may have overstated my feelings. Mother's Day makes me sad and I hate to be sad, but I can't hate a day set aside to honor those women who nurture and love those in their care either through biology or other avenues. I can hate the hype but I don't hate the day. Besides, today is beautiful and it's hard to muster such strong feelings of loathing when the sun is shining and the air is warm.* And my husband sent me cupcakes. Diamonds may be a girl's best friend but cupcakes make me smile too. They don't make me sparkly but they make my stomach happy.

So please, go, vent, bitch, cry... Whatever you need to do. Or leave kind, reassuring words. It's all very cathartic, ain't it?



*If you're wondering where the glass-is-half-empty Tania is, come see me tomorrow when it's dark and stormy and I have a cupcake tummy ache. I don't think this life is beautiful crap is going to stick.

11 comments:

Issa said...

Your husband sent you cupcakes? He's awesome.

A Vapid Blonde said...

I thought for sure I had read you MD post from last year. Might have been way before I was comfortable to comment.

I don't hate the holiday. But it does remind me of what a horrible daughter I am that I haven't seen my parents since christmas.

Monica G said...

This will be my first Mother's Day without my Mom. I still can't believe she is gone. I pick up the phone to call her and when something happens I think "I have to tell Mom this!" So this year I hate Mothers Day and hopefully in future years I can remember the wonderful things about her instead of only being consumed with the aching loss of her.

Angie said...

Mother's day is a hard one. I still have my mother and one of my grandmothers so I do really want to celebrate them. I also don't have a problem celebrating my mother-in-law. She is a wonderful woman. The problem in all this celebrating is that there is no time or at least my husband takes almost no time for the day to celebrate me. Instead I am the one cooking for his family and doing dishes so his mother doesn't have to and then it is time to race to my parents house and by then the children are cranky and so I am yet again overwhelmed. I would much prefer to celebrate them daily and be celebrated daily then cram it all in to one day. My thoughts go out to those who are without their mothers that is a whole different set of feelings on this holiday.

SciFi Dad said...

Is it OK to say that I hate the fact that there was SNOW on the ground when I woke up on Mother's Day this year?

Happy Mother's Day, Tania, even if it makes you sad, you're still a great mom who deserves to be celebrated.

kristi said...

My Mother's Day did not go to well this year. Read my blog to find out why. UGH.

Hilary said...

I just read your original blog.. The way you feel about mother's day is the way I feel about father's day. My dad passed away 22 years ago when I was 14. I dread the day, and try hard to not notice when it arrives - which is next to impossible. It always makes me so sad. I also just hate the premise of these days. Isnt it better to celebrate those you love everyday, rather than wait for a holiday?

WorkingMom said...

Mother's Day is one of those days every year that I dread seeing on the calendar. I love my three boys, but that day means that I drive to visit my third son... at our gravesite. He was stillborn at 29 weeks, and I had a miscarriage a year later on his due date. Needless to say, I have a special place in my heart for all the moms who have empty arms, and understand how lucky I am to have the three at home that I do.

I also wish my family would understand that I don't want a flowering plant and donuts for breakfast. I want the house cleaned and the laundry done.

United Payment Services said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
oakleyses said...

gucci handbags, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, polo ralph lauren outlet online, longchamp outlet, polo outlet, louis vuitton outlet, nike free run, ugg boots, nike outlet, longchamp outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses, burberry pas cher, jordan pas cher, nike air max, sac longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses wholesale, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, kate spade outlet, chanel handbags, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, replica watches, polo ralph lauren, louis vuitton, prada handbags, tiffany jewelry, christian louboutin outlet, christian louboutin shoes, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, uggs on sale, louboutin pas cher, michael kors pas cher, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, ugg boots, tory burch outlet, christian louboutin, nike roshe, nike free, louis vuitton outlet, air max, ray ban sunglasses, longchamp pas cher

oakleyses said...

replica watches, ugg pas cher, moncler outlet, canada goose, hollister, links of london, moncler uk, montre pas cher, moncler, karen millen uk, canada goose jackets, canada goose, toms shoes, marc jacobs, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, doudoune moncler, louis vuitton, supra shoes, swarovski, moncler, juicy couture outlet, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, moncler, pandora uk, thomas sabo, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, ugg, canada goose outlet, pandora charms, canada goose uk, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, swarovski crystal, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, coach outlet, ugg uk, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, pandora jewelry, canada goose, moncler