Friday, May 02, 2008

Cue the synthesizer, it's The Final Countdown

There are only three weeks left in my pregnancy. Three weeks. Wow. Hard to believe in three weeks or less (!) I'll be the proud mama of another bouncing baby Chicky. Let's see, are we ready for the addition of another little person?


Braxton Hicks - Check

Lightening - Check, sort of. Not much room there to begin with.

Dilated - Check, though not much yet. We'll see how much more after that last round of BH contractions I had the other night at my OB appointment on Monday.

Bag packed for the hospital - Um, no.

Baby room finished - Uh uh.

Arrangements for dog care made - Shoot, forgot about that. Not yet.

Super special gift(s) I was going to purchase for Chicky to let her know Mama and Daddy love her very much - Crap! Nope.

Co-Sleeper - Purchased and set up but no sheets on it yet. I think the cat's been sleeping in it.

Recently purchased newborn outfit washed in special infant friendly detergent, folded lovingly and ready to go into bag for trip home from the hospital - Still sitting in the laundry basket with other newborn clothes that still need to be washed. Keep waiting for it to walk up to the washer and jump in all on its own but it's JUST NOT HAPPENING.

Name for the baby - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!


Okay, so we're not exactly ready in the traditional sense, but this baby is coming whether or not there are shades installed in the nursery (there aren't) or if the baby seat is installed in the car (ditto) or even if we're prepared mentally (do you really have to ask?).

I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all. I still have every day life to live, after all. Just the basic care and feeding of Chicky is enough to drive me to the couch with a bottle of Tylenol and a heating pad.

And then there's the anticipation.

Mr. C asked me last night if I was more nervous when I was anticipating Chicky's arrival or this time and I said, unequivocally, this time. With Chicky, I was fearful of the unknown but sometimes ignorance is bliss. This time I know what to expect. And let me tell you, after having a newborn like Chicky who was colicky and unable to sleep on her own, a baby who hated to be held by any other person except me, and who didn't take to breastfeeding easily but wouldn't take a bottle either, I'm still a bit twitchy about going through it again.

It will be easier this time, I keep telling myself. Others tell me that too. Lightning doesn't strike twice. The second one is easier because you've been there, done that, and bought the damn t-shirt. But still...

*shudder*

I can't help but think that my hesitation to tie up loose ends as far as the new baby coming is concerned is my subconscious telling me to Run! Run for your life! In the name of all that is good and holy, Woman, run while you still can!

But have you ever seen a 9 month pregnant woman run? High comedy but not much progress.

Suppose I should at least start working on that hospital bag.


-----------------

Your suggestions for baby names have really helped. No, really. Mr. C and I have had a great time pouring over the comments and adding the names we like to our own list. We've gone from one name to six or seven now, which doesn't really seem like a big help now that I think about it.

-----------------

Some wonderful women are throwing myself, Her Bad Mother, and Mrs. Chicken a virtual baby shower. There are prizes to be won, people! And a children's charity! All the fun and none of the stupid party games or useless party favors! And definitely no stupid bow hat.



Go on over there and check it out. Don't make me get off this couch and chase you over or there will be hell to pay. Getting off the couch is a 10 step process, minimum, but don't think I won't do it and don't think I won't catch you. I can waddle as fast as anyone.

25 comments:

Cassie said...

I only have 5 weeks left, and I'm starting to freak out (It's my first!). Packing a hospital bag is one of the things on my to do list this week...

flutter said...

I am so excited that all of my favorite girls are pregnant!

Angela said...

Whew! For a second there I thought you were listing off baby names you liked. By the time I got to "Dialated" I was suspicious though. And I think the name "Bag packed for the hospital" was what got me to go back and actually READ all the words.

Ahem.

Good luck clearing that to do list. Oh, and just to throw in one more thing (HA!) I remember reading on someone's blog about getting a gift for the first child that was "from" the new baby. I kind of like that idea. Especially if they're not expecting it, and maybe they were bringing the new baby a gift too.

You know, because you don't have enough to do. ;)

Here's the million dollar question though. Will you even tell us which name you eventually pick?

Whirlwind said...

I know what you mean about the anticipation. I wasn't freaked out about the second, it was the third one that did me in. As I was pacing the hospital floor, I remember telling Husband "I can't do this, I'm not ready". His response "It's a little too late for that".

The great thing about knowing what you didn't know, is that you know little tricks tha tshould help that you didn't know before.

Plus, you have us. I'm sure we could all give you little hints on things to try. I know I wish i had more people to ask "Is this right", "what can I try" when I had my first.

Kim Moldofsky said...

Infants are difficult. I spent a lot of time with my second baby murmuring, "This, too, shall pass," and "only X more weeks until he's 12 weeks old." Which to me was the marker of baby vs. infant. Well, 14 weeks weeks, really, I tried to fool myself.

Those early weeks do go faster the second time around because there's so much to do.

Also, accept all offers of help that come your way.

petite gourmand said...

wow this pregnancy seems to have gone by so quickly!
easy for me to say I guess.

One of the reasons I keep holding back having a second is how I would handle all the anticipation near the end- but that's half the fun right?
Everyone- and I mean everyone keeps telling me that the second child is soooo much easier.
I believe them.
It has to be, experience makes everything much easier.

hang in there, I'm sure you will manage to get everything done before baby #2 arrives-
if not, remember how much time they spend sleeping in the beginning?
you should add, treat yourself to a day of pampering before the big day.
The most important thing of all.

Backpacking Dad said...

I'm tossed back to 1987 by your intro; I'm at a community center, sneaking into a 12-13 dance when I'm 9, and trying to get the tall pretty girls to dance with me when "Carrie" comes on.

Heather said...

Hmmm. Well, I had 3 weeks left yesterday and you've got more ready than I do!

Oh well. She'll come whether I'm ready or not I suppose.

motherbumper said...

You sachet, not waddle - that I know for a fact. xoxoxoxo - you are already ten steps ahead of any prep I had done with B.

Heather said...

Wishing you lots of luck. I had a difficult first baby. If nothing else, breastfeeding went much better because at least one of us (me) knew what we were doing, unlike the first time.

karengreeners said...

It's easier. You will have moments that truly suck, but trust me, all in all, it's easier. And it's been 5 months since #2 came by, so y'know, I'm a pro now.
You will wonder why you were so stupid the first time 'round. At least, we did.

my word verification is retrdo - lmao!

(

Anonymous said...

The thing about the second one is that you get used to multitasking so quickly than you'll forget all about what it was like to have one. And my first two (God knows what number 3 is going to be like) were opposites on everything - #1 was a great sleeper/poor eater, #2 was a great eater/poor sleeper - so hopefully that will be true for you too and your second will be a great eater and a great sleeper.

Kyla said...

It IS easier...and my second kiddo is KAYTAR, so if I'm saying it is easier, it will be. It takes a bit to find your groove, but it happens and life just stumbles onward.

Anonymous said...

The second one will definitely be easier. :) Mine were like night and day- the second was NOTHING like the first!
3 weeks! How exciting! I've got a little less than 3 months left, and I'm SO ready for that to go quickly! :)

Julie Pippert said...

I'm just really sad to find out I'm not one of flutter's favorite girls.

;)

Wow, you sound pretty much like every single second time mom I've ever known!

You should have seen my sister by number 4.

Look I'm not going to lie or sugar coat it: you are going to have a whole new set of challenges.

But this is not news to you I'm sure LOL.

The set of challenges you had with your first baby will be much easier. You'll just need to get to know this one and then boom all set.

But since life likes a balance, you'll have juggling challenges. :)

It'll be fine though and those magic moments are pretty awesome.

So I wish you to enjoy your joy. ;)

I got a little backpack and put a doll, book, t-shirt (Big Sister) and few other dollar aisle toys in it for patience when Persistence was born. She got to get a baby toy for the baby. And all was well.

MORE IMPORTANT in my humble opinion is that you have a bag full of little Target dollar row toys in your closet for the visitors who come bearing gifts for baby but not big sister.

The visitor would hold the baby and offer the gift and I'd ask Patience to open it for baby and I'd sneak in a little toy for her, too.

It meant a lot to her.

Best advice I ever got.

Screw life's not fair. This was an easy one to fix. And a big one and a crucial time.

Once I learned about that I've never gone to a new baby with only one gift.

You know how to fix that cervix and I'm not talking pitocin.

GL!

kittenpie said...

Am working on a shower post, but... well... mostly sleeping. Garg.

And are we ever REALLY prepared for the arrival, really? I mean, even if the bags are packed, the crib sheets on, the sleepers washed? I don't think I was or will be at a fundamental level!

Lara said...

unless you're a boy scout, preparedness is overrated. and really, who wants to be a boy scout anyway?

moosh in indy. said...

You let me know how that whole #2 gig works out and I'll consider it. Maybe.

Anonymous said...

Still trying to remember my second kid. It was a blur.

But I'm digging through the old archives of my memory just for you.

Well, really, I'm doing it to avoid having to clean the bathroom, but still. I'm thinking of you.

SUEB0B said...

Will this one be Chicky Chicky Chicky Baby?

carrie said...

Wow, only 3 more weeks . . . how exciting! I remember not being worried at all with my 2nd, about the baby that is, I was too worried about my older child and could really care less about anything else.

And I'll reitterate what I've been saying to the others, the 2nd is way easier -- it's the 3rd that kicks your ass!

Hang in there Mrs. Chicky! :)

Phoenix said...

Forget the real name, what will her blog name be? Will we get to hear the real name, maybe just once?

I have my piece of assvice up for you guys.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

I'm still trying to figure out what will happen to HBM's blogname if she has a boy? Their Bad Mother???

I'm all a-flutter for you guys. It's very exciting to be on this end of it all.

Hope the next three weeks pass by quickly!

Mrs. Schmitty said...

I wish I were pregnant again. You all are making me have that baby tug. I'm so done though....unless Mr. Schmitty doesn't mind if I get knocked up by someone else, if you know what I mean.

Good luck to you! And at least get that bag packed!

Woman in a Window said...

My second was so much easier than my first. My first has always been high maintenance. I know my second one must be kicken around here somewhere...