Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Someday is Today

On our way to preschool this morning, Chicky and I were listening to morning DJs pondering whether or not the Secret Service was going to let (soon to be) President Obama continue with his pickup basketball games.

What would the other players call him while waiting for a pass, they speculated. Hey, Prez!?

POTUS, I said to the radio. If it were me I'd yell Hey, POTUS!

Chicky pipes up from the back, Who's Otis?

POTUS, not Otis. President of the United States. P-O-T-U-S. Together we spelled it out.

And that's Barack Obama, she said.

That's right.

We pulled into the parking lot and I got out to unbuckle her from her carseat. I'm only allowed to do the tough buckles, she has to do the rest.

As she was standing in the car doorway, school bag in hand and almost eye level with me because of the height of the car, she said, One day I can be President. I can be POTUS.

My heart exploded into a million pieces. Her future flashed before my eyes.

Of course you can, I said meeting her smile. Anyone can be President.

That's good, she said soberly. Someday I'd like to be like Barack Obama.

And she can. Anything is possible.

22 comments:

d e v a n said...

That made me tear up a little.

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwww! Yes she can!

Avalon said...

Because of him, her chances are even better.

Yes she can.

MARY G said...

Many years ago now my daughter said to me that she wanted to be Prime Minister some day. I said to her that she could but that it would be hard... most female PM's up to then had been replacements for a dead male relative. Then appeared Margaret Thatcher. Woo. My daughter's interests changed and she is now in our Foreign Service where she is indeed making a difference but as an employee of the government is precluded from politics. I don't know whether to be glad or sorry. She loves her work.
But the world needs Chickys so badly.
Bless her.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yea! President Chicky.

Chibi said...

Made me tear up, too. I *heart* Chicky -- I'd vote for her! (If I was American, of course... )

Manic Mommy said...

So many cracks in the glass ceiling. Of course Chicky can break it.

I hope for all our sakes she's the second female president. I'm impatient.

Major Bedhead said...

President Chicky. That would rock.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post; it amazes my every time my children comment on Obama, that they realise the importance of what is happening around us at such a young age is very inspiring.

Heather said...

Really lovely.

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

You know that actually brought some tears to my eyes...what a cutie pie she is. :)
We can...we did.
dawn

motherbumper said...

Oh way to make me cry (I'm so happy for you, seriously I am)

Whit said...

Damn skippy. Good on her.

Anonymous said...

Yes we can!!!!!!!

josetteplank.com said...

I am hopeful.

I still think that the road will be difficult for any woman.

But because of Barack - and also because of Hillary - I am hopeful. I await the day when the office is finally opened to a woman. And I'm ready for the hard fight to get our daughters there.

furiousBall said...

that was so sweet. i can't wait to talk to my kids about their new president

Patois42 said...

Thankfully, it's so true. At last.

Unknown said...

That is so precious. I really hope that passion stays with her as she grows older! It sounds like Barack Obama isn't the only good role model she has...

the new girl said...

OH. AWESOME.

Alex Elliot said...

That is just so great!

yanmaneee said...

moncler jackets
off white nike
james harden shoes
jordan shoes
custom baseball jerseys
yeezys
yeezy
hermes
adidas superstar
irving shoes

Anonymous said...

replica bags high quality hop over to this site t4d40j2m22 replica bags online uae replica bags supplier replica gucci handbags m7z76c0x04 replica bags joy useful content x2s85a8i45 aaa replica bags replica bags joy