Sunday, December 14, 2008

The ice storm cometh and there my brain goeth

Do you know what you DON'T want to happen less than two weeks before Christmas? A huge ass ice storm that knocks out power to the entire region. And what you really don't want to happen after that? Being one house out of thousands that still doesn't have power 3 days later.

Just a quick aside: Why don't we ever lose power like this here in the North Country in the middle of July when the sun stays out until 9pm? Why is it always in the dead of winter when it's cold and dark? What department do I have to take this complaint to? The department of "We're Totally Screwing with Your Head"?

Anyway. It could be worse. At least Mr. C's parents live close by. In our old house. The one we sold to them three months ago so we could move to our dream house.

I'm just going to let that last sentence hang out there for awhile and let it sink in. I'm still trying to decide if it's ironic or just a mind fuck. I'm going for the later.

So we're staying with them until we get our power back. In their house. The one that used to be our house. In the room that was C.C.'s room, if she had, in fact, spent even a night in that room. Which she didn't because she slept with us. In our old room. The one that is now my inlaw's bedroom. Only now, due to the storm, she is sleeping in her old room. With us. Together. And I have to stop myself from traipsing into my inlaw's bedroom, the one that used to be my bedroom, and do you hear that sound? That's the sound of my brain trying to escape my skull by force.

But like I said, it could be worse. All of my relatives who live further north are completely without power and have no where to go since all the surrounding towns are also without power. Some people I know of could only recently leave their own driveways as they were blocked in by huge felled tree branches. My dad, his fiance and my Nana, who could leave at any time because luckily all the large branches missed their house, driveway and cars, are living in their tiny house with no hot water and only a fireplace to keep them warm.

How are they doing? Oh, fine. They're fine. Just fine. Just ask them. But will they go someplace else to stay for awhile until the power comes back on? Nooo. They're fine.

Pardon me while I bang my head against this wall.

I'm too tired to whine (any more than I already have) about how I want to go home to my bed, my TV, and my dogs and cat (who are, actually, just fine and enjoying seeing us many times a day while we run back and forth to check that the wood stove is still burning and keeping the house relatively warm to keep the damn water pipes from freezing) I'll leave you with this little nugget:

When the power goes out at 4am with a large crash and something that looks like a huge bolt of lightning, one can get pretty creeped out. Especially when one's husband is 3000 miles away and one is solely responsible for the well being of the wee, helpless beings in the house. Not that having one's husband there would have stopped a giant, icy tree branch from falling on one's house but he might have been able to convince me, I mean ONE, that no, there wasn't in fact a boogey man waiting outside the house to eat us. I mean one. I mean... Oh, forget it.

Because when the power goes out at 4am during a storm, it's really dark and scary. And curling into a fetal position while sucking one's thumb doesn't help convince one that said boogey man isn't waiting to rip one's head from one's body as much as one might think. Yes, one is a bit of a pansy ass, isn't one?

Oh, also when driving down my street yesterday I told off the tree that is resting on the power line thus cutting off electricity to everyone from that point onward. I may have told it to go fuck itself. The tree in turn may have flipped me off.

But I can't be sure because I was too busy looking for signs of the boogey man.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooh i'm sorry. that's a crappy situation all around, but, um, i think i was giggling at the irony all through it....

Anonymous said...

I am almost positive I too have flipped off a tree.

Be careful not to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and then accidentally climb into bed with your inlaws.

Anonymous said...

That temporary living situation? Serious mindfuck. Must not spend too much time picturing that.

Just...I'm sorry. Damn trees.

Mommy Jo said...

Couldn't do it. Stay with the in-laws. All the power to ya!

SciFi Dad said...

sleeping in my inlaw's house: brutal

sleeping in my inlaw's house which is also my old house: grounds for completely losing my shit

Usually, I sit here and read your posts and remark about how lucky you are. Today? Not so much.

Blog Antagonist said...

Okay, the next time I whine about not getting any winter weather to speak of down here, you offically have permission to bitch slap me. Poor one. I mean you.

AnnetteK said...

Thanks for making me laugh! Cause you know, day four with no power? Still completely sucks and I have nothing else to laugh about.

Binkytowne said...

Crap. Nothing like chaos before the holiday. I'm thinking about you and hope you make it home soon.

Heather said...

Ugh. I feel for you. Glad it's not me though, seriously.

MARY G said...

Oh my! All my sympathy. We had one of these storms ten years ago now, and it majorly sucked. Advice from one who has been there -- stay out from under big trees. I got whacked by a huge branch that finally broke all the way ten days after the storm was over.
Best of luck -- I'll be thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

OK, you win.

I was feeling sorry for myself. We went 60+ hours without power. It just turned on about an hour ago.

My husband was here and we have a generator, so we had heat and a light or two. I would have completely FREAKED if he was away.

Hang in there. You'll be back in your (new) house soon!

Sarahviz said...

Damn crazy MA weather. We were totally unscathed - in the NEXT TOWN OVER.

Come to the Trenches if you need a break from the mind f*cking!

MichelleRenee said...

Near Concord NH we just got power back, from Thursday to Monday, without power. Three Children, a dog and a cat.

Good Times.

My husband tried to throw out the wine in the our defrosted/spoiled refrigerator, NO! wine does not spoil. I hear it's good for Post Traumatic Stress..

RockerByeBaby said...

Stupid ice-storm...

I live in Minneapolis, MN and succccky... its like -30 here with the wind chill lame!!!

Amber
RockerByeBaby
http://www.rockerbyebaby.etsy.com

petite gourmand said...

Oh that totally sucks.
I hope you guys are all back at casa chicky soon.

Mags said...

I can't even imagine...that frigging sucks!!! I hope you get power restored soon.

Alex Elliot said...

That sounds awful! Come stay over here. I think my tiny neighborhood is only one in the area that didn't lose power. So while others may say we live in the boonies of our town, it does have its perks :)

Patois42 said...

I so hate being the one in charge when all hell breaks lose. For some reason, I keep thinking I've got to save the kids from the boogie man. But really it should be my husband. Who is out of town. Stupid boogie men.

Ericka said...

ooh. that sucks rocks. i'm sorry.

better to flip off the tree than to kick it, which is usually what i do. then, on top of everything else, you have to limp around like an idiot because the stupid tree damaged your stupid toe... um. right. clearly trees are out to get us.

Anonymous said...

Ick. I totally feel for you. It must be really weird living in your old house. Again. With other permanent occupants. That you know.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

It is so strange to me that we live maybe an hour southeast of you and got not one speck of ice---just rain and wind. I'm so sorry for everything your region (and you!) had to go through!

Bon said...

yikes. we in Canada send sympathy.

motherbumper said...

That tree AND that storm can go fuck themselves. I'm flipping them both off from here. Stay warm and check under the bed for the bogeyman.

Manic Mommy said...

I would have totally curled into the fetal position. The boogey man always comes around when the husbands are away on business. I program in 911 before I go to sleep.

Look at it this way; my cousin is 8 months pregnant with a 5 and a 3 year old, staying in her old room at her parents.

carrie said...

I'm going to stop complaining about our weather now.

Hang in there!

SUEB0B said...

You can come stay with me. My house is tiny, but tonight's low is forecast to be 41. Brrrrr.

Pippin Party said...

Ouch, that totally stinks... this weather is driving everyone nuts these days!