Monday, June 23, 2008

George Carlin - RIP, Man




The forecast for today and tonight is going to be... Dark, because George Carlin passed away yesterday from heart failure. No, sorry, he didn't pass away. We didn't lose him. He died. And he was only 71. That sucks, Man.

Maybe you knew him for his notorious Seven Dirty Words. Or maybe as the Hippie Dippy Weatherman. I knew him as the man who was in some way, either directly or through my father who is a HUGE fan of Carlin's, almost totally responsible for me having a mouth like a trucker.

Thanks a fucking lot, George.

The effect George Carlin had on my father is profound. Listening to my dad talk is like listening to a Carlin show, and it goes beyond blatantly stealing lines from his act. Even the way my dad talks, the cadence of his speech and the rise and fall of his voice is a rip-off of George Carlin. It used to bug me, I used to wish my dad would get his own shtick, but now I know it was the highest form of flattery. Imitation to the point where he didn't even know he was imitating the man any more. He was trying to become the man whose opinions he greatly respected, and through that it shaped the way I thought too.

So in honor of the man who should have been making us laugh well into his 80's and 90's, I'm going to use the word Cocksucker as much as possible today. Maybe I'll poke fun at religion in mixed company. At the very least I can say things as they are and not use any soft language. The world is fucked up but there's a lot of humor to be found in it and we have George Carlin to thank for that.

20 comments:

flutter said...

that totally sucks

SciFi Dad said...

Fuck.

Meg said...

Hearing this news this morning fucking sucked. George Carlin was a great man.

Shit,.

Rusti said...

I am in full fucking agreement. He was the shit, and brought me many hours of entertainment. He will be missed. Damn him.

mamatulip said...

I was so bummed to hear about this earlier today. It totally sucks.

Jess in MA said...

I have to totally agree. Damn. That totally sucks. As someone who spent a big part of today organizing some of my STUFF, I had to laugh at his entire schtick on buying a bigger house for all our damn stuff....cocksucker.

kittenpie said...

I heard that on the news this morning in a haze of sleep and had to roll over and poke Misterpie to make sure he heard, too. I was a veteran listener of Dr. Demento shows as a kid, so I heard a lot of Carlin with my parents. I loved the Icebox Man best.

Heather said...

This tribute rocks.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

I hope my dad is laughing his ass off now that George has joined him. RIP.

Anonymous said...

The world is a little darker today, isn't it?

Shit.

Kimberly said...

I was so fucking sad to hear this today.

justmylife said...

I hated to hear this. Great tribute!

Anonymous said...

This sucks a big one. I can't believe he's gone. He was fucking awesome! RIP George because the world will be lost without your brutally honest views.

Cakabaker said...

Ditto that, I'll miss him and his humor.

Moments Of Mom said...

Nicely put.

motherbumper said...

Well fucking said Mrs. Chicky but I'd expect no fucking less. He will be f'ing missed.

Debbie said...

oh my fucking god. how did I miss this? (well, besides the obvious reason that my head is three feet below sand-level.)

shit.

Anonymous said...

I was sent an email today about his bit on aging... we turn 30, we reach 40, we make it to 50, etc... It was sad to read it knowing he was only 71.
Nice fucking post!

Christina said...

I know, I was so sad to see he died. We have one of his books and a couple of his specials on DVD. He'll be missed.

BOSSY said...

Oy, Bossy loved him too.