Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Willing to suffer for free baby powder

I'm packing up and heading for New Jersey tomorrow for Johnson and Johnson's Camp Baby. Yes, that Camp Baby. The one that everyone seems to be chattering about. Regardless of the controversy and all the feelings that were hurt I'm going with an open mind. I'm very interested to see how a major corporation like J&J will be courting us Moms and I am approaching this not only as an opportunity to see some of my lady friends again and meeting some new ones face to face but also as I would have if I were still working for a corporation. It's a business conference, albeit one with baby powder and lots of mommies braiding each other's hair (Oy. No one is touching my hair) instead of macho, testosterone-laden technology salesmen.

I won't, however, be bringing my laptop with me so I won't be live blogging it. You'll just have to wait for a rundown from me. Try sitting on your hands or something.

There's just something about already dragging around all of these extra pregnancy pounds that doesn't make the idea of dragging around a heavy laptop around two airports that attractive.

I am worried about how I'm going to survive two days of activity and two relatively late nights of socializing, not to mention traipsing across busy airports. I am, arguably, in the worst shape of my life right now. I'm quite front heavy (well, duh, I'm eight months pregnant), I need to sit down a lot and I need to sleep with at least five pillows. I'm hoping the beds are soft, the pillows are plentiful, and the friends I'll be meeting there will give me their chairs. And I hope they'll sneak me a sip of wine or two during the opening night wine tasting or I might get cranky.

So, three days with no computer. And no drinking. What the hell am I going to do with myself?

-----------

Thanks to Sarah for nominating my Two Pieces post for a Perfect Post Award! If you'd like to read the other nominees visit Suburban Turmoil or Petroville.

Perfect Post Award 03.08

24 comments:

kittenpie said...

I haven't hear a whole lot about this other than a bit of grumbling about some apparent confusion, but I must say - the chance to meet up with blogger friends is ALWAYS a good thing! With HBM and Motherbumper comign, I'm a smidge jealous myself, even though they aren't so far from home! Have a great time, lady - btu I still hope you'll show for BFF if you can.

motherbumper said...

You can borrow my laptop darlin' if the withdrawal gets to you. And hell yes, I'll funnel you wine.

And you are a perfect post (albeit front heavy). Just think - you can slap me in person for that tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Hey,just wondering if you have ever heard of Fetal Alchol Syndrome.Maybe look it up on your lap top.

Anonymous said...

I'm just laughing at ANON's comment.

April Fool's maybe?

Heather said...

Have fun! I know how hard it is to even move around these days!

Anonymous said...

I want to smell baby powder. Blow some towards Michigan, eh?

Anonymous said...

Hey Anon - If you knew anything about Fetal Alcohol Syndrome you'd know that a few sips of wine wouldn't cause it. Genius.

Uh, sorry, I may be a bit cranky today. Anyway, have fun!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Wow. I leave my LAPTOP for a few hours and I get a troll. Niiice.

Guess I should put down the gin now too, huh?

Anonymous said...

The troll can just suck it and I am looking forward to hopefully seeing you tomorrow.

Lawyer Mama said...

T, I'm so incredibly jealous I can't stand it. Y'all are NOT allowed to have too much fun without me.

We all know you're going to be carrying around a flask and dancing naked on the tables, pregnant or not. You know you're just dying to star in the next Hot and Bothered video.

ms blue said...

I hope you have way too much fun and get plenty of special treatment from everyone! Really Apple should send you a care package in a manila folder.

Girlplustwo said...

oh, you bitches. you baby powder bizatches.

Kim Moldofsky said...

I'll be there, too. Along with my friend Kristina, who is nearly as pregnant as you.

See you tomorrow.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

I've only caught snippets of this controversy---something about Camp Baby wanting to be Baby Free??---but hope you have a lot of fun down there! The fact that someone is picking up your tab for time away from the home is almost like therapy, isn't it?

Sarahviz said...

Have fun! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Backpacking Dad said...

You are hilarious. Put down the gin. Scotch is what you ought to be drinking.

josetteplank.com said...

Waiting patiently for the review!

Creative-Type Dad said...

Have fun on your field trip.

Don Mills Diva said...

Have fun - can't wait to hear all about it!

sweatpantsmom said...

Have fun! I'm sitting on my hands, but that's just so I don't reach for the potato chips.

(I'm totally out of it. Two things that I'm seeing everywhere that I have no idea about:

1) Who the hell is Ted Allen
2) What is the J&J controversy

Must investigate. After I find my hands.)

Christina said...

Of course, the really funny thing is that of all the swag we left with, none of it was baby powder. You still didn't get your baby powder.

Great seeing you! Are you sure we can't drag you out to BlogHer this summer? Or will you be too busy plotting Susan W.'s demise so you can go to the Olympics?

Jaelithe said...

I don't know how you handled all that running around and sleeping in strange places being pregnant, when I was totally exhausted like halfway through day 2 and I am pregnant, but you sure did look good doing it.

Anonymous said...

So annoyed that I wasn't invited.

Hope you had a good time.

Now I'm going to take comfort in the great red I'm currently sipping on.

Bwhahahaaha....